Throwback Thursday: Any good stories of past new year's resolutions?

It's Thursday!
giphy
So, if you want to what the talk of the town is in Iceland (take the nation's pulse), then you go to the public swimming pools and sit down in the hot tubs. The old folks show up way early but the younger folk at the end of the day. Or anytime on Saturdays.
pool.png
Few years ago, I went to the pool. Swam some laps and then settled down in the hot tub to relax afterwards. Two very bulky guys were sitting there. They obviously lived at the gym, no question about that. After a few minutes, one of the guys said to the other something like: "man! So hard to do my exercise routine with all these new people at the gym. I have to wait so long to get on the machines." The other one replied: "Just give it a week or two. Then all these folks with their new year's resolutions will disappear and we will have the gym to ourselves."  :)
giphy
So, do you have any good stories of past new year's resolutions you'd like to share with us?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

11 comments

Comment

Tushita Sarkar Biswas January 12, 2023

Good one!!

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2023

Garfield Resolutions.png

Like # people like this
Panagiotis January 12, 2023

Funny and true story! 

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2023

Thanks guys.

I hope that I am not offending any gym lovers. If so, then I apologize. Did not mean to offend.

This story is just applicable to other areas and I have been very guilty of making lofty new year's resolutions...  :)

Like # people like this
Malka Jackson [Isos Technology]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 12, 2023

I am not a fan of January 1 resolutions. There is a lot of pressure on the "New Year, New Me" bandwagon and I figure if I was going to make a change, I would have honestly put in the effort earlier in the year and not waited until then to do so. I have an aunt who makes birthday calls every year and plays a "game" where she asks, "What was something you accomplished in the past year that you are proud of?", "Did you find that your goal from last year remained relevant and was it achieved?", "What else did you celebrate achieving in the past year?" and What is a goal you have for the next year?" so I tend to prep for my birthday in July by thinking about goals and and being retrospective as well as introspective. For some reason it feels different than doing so on January 1. 

:shrug:

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2023

I agree with @Malka Jackson [Isos Technology]! I am not a big fan of New Year's resolutions and for one reason; they have never worked for me! Another reason is New Year's resolutions are like Valentine's Day. Why do you need a day to love your spouse or partner? Why don't you love them everyday? Same concept here; why do I need to set resolutions only at the beginning of the year? I should have them throughout the year so the pressure is spread throughout the year instead of being piled on me at the beginning of the year. I also tend to focus on what I am proud of from the past year and how I can one up those things.

Like # people like this
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2023

@Summer_Hogan .. I agree ...but I do like to set resolutions just as a checkpoint 😀..At the end of the year you need to be  truly committed to achieving your resolutions ( which is the hard part  ) 

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2023

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen excellent story!

I'm not offended at all from your story, since I believe that I'm one of these guys that the gym guys were talking about! :) 

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2023

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

good funny story, I do not take any resolutions for new year as they won't work any time.

But good to have resolutions, atleast we will keep that for some days.

Vikram P

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2023

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen I guess I am a slacker because I never make any new years resolutions.  I am always working on things to better myself and those are completed and added too throughout the year.  So I just keep doing my thing without adding anything to it each new year.  

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2023

@Brant Schroeder you are not a slacker! You just have more "New Year's eves" than the rest of us :) Way to go! Great for you to not wait until New Year's eve to add to your goals. You are more iterative than others. Agile and Sprinting :)

Like Brant Schroeder likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events