Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I love to smell amazing things

Dana A July 21, 2023

Take A Deep Breath – What Makes Tree Scents?

Why do pine trees (genus Pinus) smell the way they do? What gives sassafras (genus Sassafras) its distinctive, sweet and spicy scent? What makes a whiff of eucalyptus (genus Eucalyptus) so fresh and invigorating? The source may be the same: terpenes (and terpenoids, chemically modified terpenes). Varieties of plants as well as some insects produce these organic compounds, many of which carry strong odors. Odoriferous leaves, bark, and even roots are often rich in terpenes and terpenoids. Though some scents work to attract pollinators, others are defensive, meant to deter pests and attract pests’ predators. Eucalyptus, sage, and mint are a few examples of defensively-scented terpenoid producers. Terpene production increases dramatically in heat, suggesting that terpenes play a role in temperature regulation in forests.

Great article:Take A Deep Breath – What Makes Tree Scents? | Trees Atlanta

What is your favorite tree /flower to smell?  magnolia.jpg

Guess what mine is? 

7 comments

Comment

Anastasia Bek _Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 21, 2023

Is it Camellia (based on the picture)? Also, Coco Chanel's (and mine) favorite flower! I like floral fragrances, but very faint and subtle ones, like cherry blossoms or white tea. 

Have a lovely Friday! 

Like # people like this
Dana A July 21, 2023

Try again 

Like Marjorie likes this
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 24, 2023

Will need a hint! Is it related to the picture or the content in the post itself?

Like Dana A likes this
Rachel McDonald July 21, 2023

Ooooh magnolia! We had a magnolia in the backyard of our old house...I was SO SAD to leave it when we moved!

I don't really have a favorite tree smell...maybe pine? Since it reminds me of Christmas.

But my favorite flower smell is definitely gardenia. Oh wow...it is heaven! 

steady-as-she-goes-gardenia-gardenia-jasminoides-proven-winners_16970.jpg

Like # people like this
Dana A July 21, 2023

Gorgeous ! I would love to smell those for sure ! 

Like Marjorie likes this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2023

I have several lilac and magnolia trees in my garden, along with a number of roses, mint, hydrangea, and others. But my absolute favorite scent is gardenia. 

Like # people like this
Dana A July 21, 2023

Wow , those are beautiful ! I bet for sure that smells amazing too! 

Like Marjorie likes this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2023

I like lilac and plumeria myself.  

Like Dana A likes this
Dana A July 24, 2023

@Anastasia Bek _Stiltsoft_ its the picture , its a Magnolia, I also love Gardinias  , tulips, and daffodils 

Marketplace Partner
July 24, 2023

@Dana A That's a lovely flower, and I know magnolia smells nice too! Other ones have great fragrances, especially suitable for the spring vibe! 

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2023

As someone who is obsessed with plants that can be eaten, they make up some of my favourite fragrances.

The list is exhaustive, I'll stick to🌳varieties:

Kafir lime leaf

Citrus-Kaffir-Lime.jpg

Sorrento Lemon leaf

lemons-sorrento-amalfi-coast.jpg

Orange blossom

orange-blossom.jpg

Apple blossom

blossom-4138763_1280.jpg

The bark from cassia tree (cinnamon)

istockphoto-624283892-612x612-1.jpg

Like # people like this
Dana A July 24, 2023

Wonderful learning experience as well , Thank you for sharing! 

Justyna Gdowik _ Deviniti _
Marketplace Partner
July 28, 2023

Oh, my favorite flower to smell is Jasmine! It has this amazing sweet scent that just feels magical and relaxing.
And guess what? I have incredible handmade soap that's infused with the delightful scent of Jasmine. Trust me, it smells absolutely amazing! Every time I use it, it reminds me of Tunisia which is famous for its enchanting Jasmine scent during flowering.

677.jpg

Like # people like this
Dana A July 28, 2023

Jasmine is so wonderful; I love them as well. I have a bunch in the front porch area. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events