Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday Fun: which is your favourite book or the best book you have read till now?

Viewing page 2 of 2

35 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2020

This is a really great topic @Deepanshu Natani!  I'm also in the group that doesn't read many books.  When I do, I enjoy sci-fi and fantasy and I found there are only a handful of authors that can keep me engaged enough to actually finish a book when I start reading it.  Ed Greenwood does some fantastic books based on D&D's Forgotten Realms, but it was a few of his independent books that I actually encountered first.

I also have a love for Blizzard Entertainment's video games and the extended universe of books are fantastic as well.  Richard A. Knaak & Christie Golden do a wonderful job of writing this.

If I had to pick a favorite out of those that I have read I think it would be Rise of the Horde, but the War of the Ancients Trilogy is a close second.

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2020

I didn't think of the old D&D books, loved those. There were also the Salvatore books and Weiss & Hickman. Also based on pen and pencil RPGs I used to like the ones based on the World of Darkness licenses, Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Hunter.

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2020

Speaking of D&D, I can't even tell you how many hours were spent pouring over these:

dandd2.pngdandd.png

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2020

Seems like we need to start a thread on video games :-)

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2020

Yes, a video game and D&D thread is a must! Count me in!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2020

I'll get something started for D&D in an hour or so ;)

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

OMG @Jimmy Seddon , I will never get any work done now... ;)

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2020

Throw it up on Roll20 and I'm in. lol

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

xD

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

It's hard to pick just one, but I do want to call out Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.

8520610.jpg

This book changed my life. It taught me that it's not only okay to be an introvert, but it can also be a strength and an advantage. A big deal for me, because as a kid I was always told I was "too quiet" and that I needed to speak up.

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2020

I will definitely check on this one!

Thank you, @Kevin Bui, for sharing it with us, I think it will be very useful for my inner self :)

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Vinod Ramadoss
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2020

This actually is an awesome book, there is a TED Talk as well from the author on this.

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

I'm going to go with Ender's Game. It marked a clear point in time in my life. BE and AE ;) 

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2020

I have watched the movie but haven't read the novel. :-)

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2020

The novel (and the 3 novels following it) make up a for a great Saga. Must read!!!!! (the movie does not do it justice ;) )

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2020

Adding this to my reading list.

This thread has proved to be awesome. I have got so many suggestions for my To read list :-)

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2020

What a great post! If I need any new book suggestions, I know where to come now! 

giphy.gif

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

Getting Things Done! It played a crucial role in my career success being able to organize and execute on my tasks.

Vinod Ramadoss
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2020

Hey, am not an avid reader, I have read just a handful of books so far,though really not proud about it :)

Actually one of my 2020 "to-do's" is to read a book a month,

Of the books I read, I could tell this one book - "Flow" which talks about the Psychology Of Happiness and go on to explore/research and provides some facts why few people are really happy and few others are not.

I somehow believe happiness is from within...

Nich Hogue
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2020

I'm a big SciFi fan so for me I love reading John Scalzi. Old Mans War was great, the sequel is alright. But Lock In and Head On are both amazing reads! Super creative world concept for sure. Highly recommend the Audible versions as read by Will Wheaton, he does a great job. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 5, 2020

@Nich Hogue fun fact, John is a friend of mine; we've known each other 20 years. And yes his books are great! I have a special soft spot for Agent to the Stars. 

Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 21, 2020

I really obsessed with USA comics, lately I've been reading some Van Helsing issues.

..and they've just launched a new mini-serie :O

photo_2020-02-21_21-37-12.jpg

Also new Zorro comics are quite interesting as well.

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 29, 2020

Thanks to #Pinterest I now have two new books on their way which I am really intrigued to read......

First up is Fifty Shames of Earl Grey:
You guessed it! It's a parody. I read the 50 Shades series to see what all the fuss was about. Not a bad book and decent story telling, whist the movies are rubbish borderline complete utter tripe.
I've read better to be brutally honest and they're certainly certainly no Pullman, Tolkien, Pratchett or Jordan (snob! LOL)
So assumption is that this is hilarious and right up my condescending judgemental street... we shall see!

Next up is this insane book Ella Minnow Pea :
It caught my eye because of this Pin on Pinterest....! The initial poem is amazing... and check out the first comment! 
This book sounds amazing and totally on a next level!
#TheAlphabetFadesAway

Tai Saxty March 16, 2020

back in 2000, I watched the Eragon film, I thought it was really good and the next day I was in Waterstones and saw the first 2 book box set.

The second book (Eldest) was and is still one of my most favourite books. The way it describes how Eragon learns magic and the effects of it was really gripping to me.

WARNING reading the Eragon book will make you hate the film!

Like Dharma Ramos likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events