Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your (most interesting) *personal* use of Jira or Confluence?

Happy Monday Community friends,

I am giving a Training Theater talk at Team 24 showing attendees just how easy it is to get started with Jira and Confluence.

As part of that talk, I will highlight some interesting non-professional use cases (i.e. how people have used the products outside of their day jobs). For example, I used Jira to track my home remodel project a couple of years ago via sprints and epics.

example.png

Have you implemented JSW, JSM, or Confluence for your personal use?  For example, for a church or volunteer organization, your child's sports team, or a book club?

If so, hit reply and let me know:

• the product
  • the use case
  • if I can use your name
  • BONUS if you can give me a screenshot of it (and a permission to use it in my presentation)
  • Finally, if you will be at Team, find me so I can give you a shout out at the session and a special thank-you gift.

Best wishes,

Joanna, Senior Certification Developer, Atlassian University

12 comments

Comment

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2024

I used Confluence for my first book, SAFe for DevOps Practitioners. I kept copies of chapter outlines, but the most earth-shattering use was I created some of the illustrations in the book from Gliffy.

You can use my name

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 2.48.23 PM.png

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2024

Hey @Joanna Thurmann!

I don't have anything I can show just yet, but I'm in the process of transcribing a number of my parents recipes that I was given on index cards into a Confluence space.

I'm looking forward to seeing that talk.  Please share the time and location details when they are available.

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2024

It's not JSW or JSM but here; - for quite some time I've been using Jira Product Discovery on my private instance to gather ideas for my interior and exterior 🏡 home design. I've grouped ideas by specific categories such as floors, lightning, and also created sections by rooms.

I found this product to be perfect for this, as I browse a lot in order to find what I'm looking for and by using JPD, I can quickly scan whatever I've found so far and decide for the item(s) I'm going to buy. I've also added some simple automations to connect one JSW project with this one where I create new issue for the item/idea I've ordered and where I can easily add more delivery tasks if needed. Also I've got prices written on ideas so I can track how much is needed and how much I've spent so far.

It's pretty basic at the moment and I've been planning to add some more functionalities in JPD - such as matrix views, but I didn't find the time just yet.

The screenshot is showing ideas for floors in the whole house - I was mostly deciding between parquet and tiles with wooden design 😅 Also, even though I prefer English, this project is mostly in Croatian (field names, etc.).

2024-03-26_09-05-15.png

Sadly, I won't be attending Team event this year 🙁

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 26, 2024

@Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ Super cool to see that. :) 

I use a non-Atlassian app for taking notes when doing the type of reading I need to learn-learn from and I can see where being able to draw/outline a concept would advance my understanding.. hmm.👀

Like # people like this
Jay Jarman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2024

I have kanban boards in Jira to keep track of my goats.  My wife and I have Angora goats.  They are similar to sheep in that their farm product is fiber, and they are sheared twice per year to harvest the fiber.  On shearing day, they are weighed, given shots, hooves trimmed, FAMACHA, and finally sheared.  Different people usually do each of these activities, which helps me know what has been done to each goat.  We also use it to help manage the process of taking their fiber and converting it into yarn.  There are a lot of steps, and they don't all happen in one day.  I can look at the board and see where a batch of fiber is at any step in the process.

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2024

@Jimmy Seddon ~ I love the idea of using Confluence for recipes!  I think you've inspired my next project!

@Jay Jarman ~ sounds like Jira is perfect for tracking your goat-related tasks!

I use Trello quite a bit for vacation and holiday party planning -- nothing exciting but y'all have given me some ideas.  😊

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2024

@Joanna Thurmann I have a shared Confluence page in my private dev space that is being used to plan a cycling trip with friends. We have the route details, waypoints, hotels and itinerary in the page. I have to clean it up a bit, but can share a screen shot or screen recording later this week if you're interested.

Like # people like this
Joanna Thurmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2024

Thanks for the fabulous input! This talk is going to be so much richer thanks to all your ingenious uses of Atlassian:

And of course love and encouragement to @Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy for successful note-taking on Atlassian :-) 

Thanks to Bob for the image. If anyone else would want to attach an image of your masterpiece, we still have a few days. If not, this works! Thank you. 

The talk is slated for Wednesday, May 1, 1:15 PM - 2:00 PM PDT 

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2024

Don't worry @Joanna Thurmann , I'm still very on track for the old adage, "a Confluence page a day keeps the doctor away" 😉

(And I'm high key newly obsessed with JPD!!!!!!!)

Like Joanna Thurmann likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2024

My wife and I used Jira to plan our relocation from the US to Dubai. It was a good way to collaborate and for her to enter tasks for me to do and prioritize them. 

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2024

Thanks for the kind words, @Joanna Thurmann but I'm not sure "NY Times best-seller" is accurate!  It was #1 on Amazon for Project Management for a bit (like, 3 or 4 days) when it came out.

Like Joanna Thurmann likes this
Lacy Saute
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2024

I'm late to this thread but jumping in anyway because I was excited to build this, combining two things I love (roller derby & JSM). I created a JSM project for my roller derby league to complete and track our annual minimum skills testing. Every year skaters have to complete minimum skills testing to determine our game eligibility. So using JSM, skaters can submit a request for testing which will then create linked tickets with forms for trainers at each testing station. As the skater completes stations, forms are submitted, and the skater's original ticket updates so they can see their scores and feedback. When the skater has been scored at all the stations, their eligibility is calculated and the issue is resolved with a status the indicates their eligibility. I know it's late but you are welcome to use my name and screenshot if you'd like.

screencapture-fcrd-atlassian-net-servicedesk-customer-portal-1-MST-376-2024-04-05-13_20_18.png

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events