Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throw Back Thursday - Why Checks Still Matters - A Special Moment at Dollar Tree

In today's world, where technology like AI is everywhere, some things might seem old-fashioned. But recently, something happened at Dollar Tree that showed how important checks can still be, even with all the new tech. And we'll sprinkle in a little flavor from some cool Atlassian products too!

At Dollar Tree, someone wanted to pay with a check. It's not something you see every day, especially when we're used to swiping cards or using phones to pay. But it happened, and it made us think about the good old days when checks were more common.

The cashier had to take a moment to make sure everything was okay. In a world where companies like Atlassian make cool tools to help people work together better, like Confluence and Jira, seeing someone write a check felt kind of different.

But what happened next was really nice. The cashier carefully checked the check to make sure it was real. It took a bit longer, but it was worth it. It felt like a special moment, where two people connected over something simple, like a piece of paper.

Even though we have all fancy tools from venture like Atlassian to help us work better and make collaboration and connection seamless, the moment at Dollar Tree showed that old-fashioned things like checks still have their place. It reminded us that even with all the new tech, it's the little human moments that matter most.

It's about the connection between two Entities.

And maybe they are using some cool Atlassian tools at work too!

Hope everyone is progressing the week in a great fashion !!

10 comments

Comment

Adila Linke March 10, 2024

24/7 issues I need to help please. 

Like Humashankar VJ likes this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2024

Remembering the past helps us remain human!

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2024

@Humashankar VJ nice thought and story, thanks for sharing.

Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2024

Thanks @Brant Schroeder for your feedback and basically it motivates and i will get some in the similar fashion to the community in the near term.

Like Brant Schroeder likes this
Trine Larsen April 4, 2024

Thanks for sharing - and reminding me that checks used to be a thing :-) Here in Denmark, they have been phased out some years ago and I totally forgot about it. 

Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2024

Hi @Trine Larsen 

Thanks for sharing your perspective! I'm glad I could bring back some memories for you.

It's attracting to hear that checks have been phased out in Denmark - it's a great example of how different countries are adapting to digital payments.

I welcome your feedback and hope you enjoyed the article!

Like Trine Larsen likes this
Trine Larsen April 4, 2024

Hi @Humashankar VJ 

Yeah that's actually kind of funny. Back in the 80's a card called Dankort (combination of the Danish words for Denmark and card) was created. It's a payment type like Visa or Mastercard but cheaper. At least it was back then. 

And while checks are no longer in use here, only a few banks supporting the Dankort makes it available through Apple Pay. So we're not all that digital ;-) 

Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2024

Hi @Trine Larsen 

Thanks for sharing that interesting fact about Dankort cards!

I wasn’t know that they were still in use, even if only through Apple Pay.

It's interesting to see how different countries and industries have adapted to the shift towards digital payments. I appreciate your insight and the reminder that there's still a place for traditional methods in certain contexts. Thanks for sharing your experiences and perspectives – It helps out for everyone here to learn and improve!

Like Trine Larsen likes this
Josh Shepherd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2024

Checks eh? I think there is resistance to using and accepting these because it's still a promissory note with no gauranteed funds transferred at the instant. There is a significant lack of trust in this world, which is I feel, a sad situation. I remember when there used to be farms and houses selling produce, coffee, or flowers on stands or carts by the roadside with nothing more then a box with cash. Some even let you make your own change! 

I remember a tiny pub in the basement of a restaurant long ago in a very tiny speck of a town where you could literally pour your own drink and leave money in the cigar box they had. That may have been a bit of a grey area, but the trust was there.

While I'm not a huge fan of checks, I do wish we could go back to a time of more trust, or a word and a handshake was a binding contract! :) 

Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2024

Hi @Josh Shepherd 

I completely understand your point!

Thanks for adding your thought process.

It's refreshing to hear about your experiences with the roadside stands and the tiny pub, where trust and honor were the norm.

While we may not be able to go back to those exact times, we can remember the value of trust and integrity in our interactions, whether personal or professional, although also maintain a sense of community and faith in one another.

Best Regards

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events