creating new card via email containing html content

michael November 21, 2017

Is it possible for emails containing html to place text content in 'description' area of each new card?

These are emails created by an answering service. Right now i just see the name of the caller, the subject line of the email.

The description only shows "To view the message, please use an HTML compatible email viewer!"

I appreciate your advice!

1 answer

0 votes
Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2017

Hi Michael,

What's most likely happening is that the entire body of the email is being sent to the card, but because HTML isn't accepted in a card description, that portion isn't displaying.

As a workaround, you could try using Zapier to create cards from emails rather than the email-to-board address. Zapier has a Formatter tool that could be used to strip the HTML from the email before adding the content to the card.

You can find more information about Zapier's Formatter tool here: https://zapier.com/zapbook/updates/593/introducing-formatter-by-zapier/

michael November 27, 2017

Thank you Caity! I appreciate your help. 

Michael Starr July 27, 2020

So, I get that this issue is 3 years old at this point.  But, it's still an issue.  To put this in a nutshell, you are simultaneously refusing to render the HTML, and refusing to provide a solution for removing it.  Some, mostly desktop clients will allow email to be sent in plain text.  That's fine unless I use Gmail from my android device, which doesn't have a button for that.  You say, well, maybe that's Gmail's problem.  Maybe so, but I've chosen your tool to manage the many things in my day that need to be managed.  Forwarding emails that require action is part of that process -- pretty common for many people probably.

So, I'd rather render the HTML, and see a true representation of what I forwarded for action. Barring that, I could get by without the HTML.  But not allowing either solution seems like kind of a cop-out.  Emails with heavy HTML content are just about unreadable in Trello.  You should either render them or strip the code from them.  Converting the links to text would, of course, be nirvana, because if I convert the message to plain text, all of the links are lost.

I did do a search for power-ups that do this, didn't see any.  If one exists, I'm happy to use it.  Please point it out.

Tiziano Tazzi August 15, 2020

I agree

Like Grzegorz Tarłowski likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events