Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who deleted card?

Tristan_Rhodes February 12, 2020

Hi All,

Is there a way of tracking a deleted card (i.e. who-dunnit?).

We are trialling Trello for record keeping and some task management for 55 users currently, before considering rolling it out company-wide. We thought we may be OK with the lack of granular user function control (particularly delete!!) BUT we've recently had an issue with a card that was deleted, and it's like it never existed.

It does not show up in the activity, nor in the JSON file. We've lost all photos, checklists, comments etc, and have absolutely no idea who did it, and (more importantly) how to avoid a repeat.

I've tried looking at power-ups to allow reporting (Butler and Slack for example), but the i cannot find anything that uses the delete function as a trigger.

Honestly, if users could be limited in their functions, this would be a no-brainer, but it's just too risky currently with absolutely no control over content-providing users.

1 answer

0 votes
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2020

Hi 

before deleting, a card must be archived. 

Just build a rule which allows unarchiving in a specific board which is not visible from users. 

In additionnal, you can create a custom field and store username who has archived the card

when a card is archived, set custom field "member" to "{username}", unarchive the card, and move the card to the top of list "Restore" on board "Unarchiving"

An another way,

you create a list "Archiving", and give order to use this list to archive a card. Then you need  2 rules.

First, to avoid to archive directly a card without using the dedicated list. 

Second, to move cards added to the list Archiving on the specific board. 

It's more user friendly and you can collect additionnel datas like previouslistname, boardname. 

Tristan_Rhodes February 12, 2020

FB615688-2DF7-41DE-8F71-C3D7F51744A9.jpegUnfortunately that’s not correct. On the iOS and android apps, you can delete without archiving.

Oddly, you have to archive before deleting on the web app.

If the apps were consistent with the web app (I.e. instant delete was removed) your suggestions would work, though it still leaves it open to be deleted, thus removing all traces in the logs (though I could also export notification of archive to Slack, which would be unaffected by delete I think).

Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2020

You are right.

But I have make tests on desktop, Android and IOS. Card deleting is logged on board activity (username, card ID, listname, date). Maybe you should update the version or contact trello support.  

Unfortunately, when a card is deleted, datas are lost.

@Tristan_Rhodes 

To avoid this, you can duplicate cards to restore them on useful boards if necessary. 

For this, you make a search by using tag butler duplicate

Or See this 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Syncing-Cards/qaq-p/1297712

As the synchronization is unilateral, you can use rule like this

when a card is added to list "{*}",
find the first card linked in the attachments,
archive the card, and copy the card to the top of list "{wildcard1}" on board "sync" and link the cards together

Marcin Golanowski January 20, 2021

I have exactly the same problem - yesterday the card was still with us  - but gone today, we do not know how it disappeared - if it actually someone removed card or if it is a system error.

I don't need the data from the card - I can easily restore them

- but because the card disappears, I have a missed deadline.

It would be very useful if you could check logs and find out who deleted card. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events