Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When X label is added, move card in Y days?

Olivia Henao April 20, 2022

Hello,

Is it possible to create a Butler rule to accomplish this without changing the due date? We use due dates on all of our cards to track the actual due dates and view them on the calendar, so we don't want to change the due date. Does anyone know any alternatives?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2022

Hi @Olivia Henao ! Interested to know more about your workflow. Is the idea to move a card to another list but not immediately, instead wait 2 days and then execute this action? What's the idea/goal behind wanting to do this? 

I'm not sure it's possible to delay actions in Butler, but I might be able to suggest some other ideas that achieve the same goal! 

Olivia Henao April 21, 2022

Hi @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows

Currently our process for when we finish projects is to apply the COMPLETE label and move the card to a separate "Completed Projects" board. However, we do a weekly calendar review that includes these projects, so we typically label them COMPLETE, and then move them after review, to make sure everything has been covered. But oftentimes, once labeled people forget to go back and move the cards, so I'd love if the cards could move themselves after 7 days or so.

We do have a Workspace Calendar View that combines our main board and our Completed Projects boards, and I'd be happy to just move the cards immediately upon completion and use this view, but this view does not include Advanced Checklist items - which we use frequently and need to show on our calendar.

Curious if you have any alternative ideas. Thanks!

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2022

Got it! Thanks for explaining your workflow in a bit more detail :) how about using a calendar command? So, for example, "every Friday at 6 pm, move all cards with the COMPLETE label to list "X" on board "Completed Projects". 

In that example, all completed cards would just pile into one list. You can also make the list dynamic, for example: move all cards with the COMPLETE label to list "Completed week ending {date}". 

So, if the cards were moved automatically tomorrow (Friday), they would be automatically moved into a list called "Completed week ending April 22nd, 2022" (that list would be generated automatically btw).

It's totally customizable. Another option could just be "Completed {monthname} {year}" so you just have lists for each month instead.

Do you think that would work for your use case?

Olivia Henao April 25, 2022

Thanks, Hannah! Interesting thought. Unfortunately, say we set it to run every Friday at 6pm... if someone adds the Complete label to a card on Friday at 3pm, that card would get swept into that automation, and wouldn't make Monday's calendar review, even though it was JUST completed and we'd likely want to touch on it.

All that said, we're actually in the early stages of going Agile and working in sprints, so I think a lot of how we review our calendar/projects will end up changing anyway. I'll keep this in mind in case it might end up suiting us!

Otherwise, I'll just keep begging Trello to please add Advanced Checklist items to Workspace Calendars... :)

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2022

Makes sense! An alternative would be to have the action say "move all cards more than X working days in list "Done". This would only really work if you had a "Done" list (cards could automatically move to this list when the Complete label is applied). That way, if Friday rolls around and a card was only just completed that day, it will stay on the board and be moved over in the next round.

Advanced checklists in the workspace views would be great! I've also upvoted this in the past :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events