Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the difference between a Card Member and a Card Follower?

Harris Davis February 21, 2018

I notice that when you add yourself—or someone else—to a card as a Member, that person automatically becomes a Follower. But you can uncheck "Follow" and still appear as a Member. What impact does that have on notifications if I am a Card Member but have deactivated the "Follow" button? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2018

Hey Harris

Following (some users may see subscribe or watch instead) is to get notifications for that specific card.  Here's more on notifications

Harris Davis February 22, 2018

Thanks Matthew. What is the reason to become a member of a card then? When you become a member, you become a follower by default. But you can also follow (or subscribe or watch) without becoming a member. So I'm wondering what's the purpose of card membership? Hope this makes sense.

Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2018

Per Trello's Help Site:

Board members can also be added to individual cards to indicate association or to assign those members to the card. Adding a member to a card automatically subscribes them to the card. They will receive notifications for the following:

• All comments
  • Adding, changing, and upcoming due dates
  • Card moves and archives

Note that if card members choose to unsubscribe at a later point, they will no longer receive these notifications.

So, essentially being a member of a card is like being assigned to a task.  And if you're not assigned to a task, you can still get updates by subscribing.

Like Andrew Howard likes this
Harris Davis February 22, 2018

Got it, thanks so much for your help! I'm recommending to my team that Card Members remain followers, so they'll receive notifications they are not @mentioned in. But if they only want to receive notifications they are @mentioned in, then they should remove themselves as a Card Member.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events