Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triggering lists moved from different board

Rich Blundell November 8, 2023

Scenario: I am an educator and I'd like to have a board wherein a user triggers the addition of lists (pre-populated with cards that I've created) that are copied from a separate board. 

The idea is that each card in this imported list presents a task - in this case, listen to an audio file and answer some questions. Once all tasks are completed, it triggers the addition of the next pre-populated list and so on.

So the user's board starts with only one list, but by the time they are finished with all of the tasks, they have a board full of multiple lists of completed tasks.

I imagine building the fully populated board and then assigning each student their own individual board. The lists are copied from my board to theirs as they move through the tasks.

Happy to hear any suggestions of this logic and/or specific steps on how to build the rules/triggers/actions.

THANKS!

1 answer

0 votes
Alina Kurishko
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2023

Hi Rich, 

Thanks for raising this question! 

I'm afraid it's not possible to trigger an Automation rule by actions on multiple cards. What I can suggest instead is to create checklists in cards instead of separate lists. This way, you can choose the following trigger:

when checklist "specific_checklist_title" is completed in a card

This means that students will be working on 1 card on each checklist item at a time. Once they're finished with the tasks on 1 card, another card with other checklist items can be copied to a board. 

I created a sample rule on my test board that can serve as an example for you: 

"when checklist "specific_checklist_title" is completed in a card, find a card titled "card_title" in list "list_title" on board "original_board_title", and copy the card to the top of list "list_title_on_student_board" on board "student_board_title" and link the cards together"

You'll need to create multiple rules with triggers for each particular checklist to copy different cards from your original board. 

Hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any further questions!

Alina | The Trello Team

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events