Trello label colours changed

T Loy May 11, 2023

When I looked at my main trello board this morning, all my label colours had changed.  Looking at the labels sidebar, it seems that the entire palette has been swapped to much more desaturated versions. I do not like this!

Aside from the usual 'it's new and I hate that' and 'but I LIKE bright colours' griping, I'm having some actual practical problems:

- Finding it very difficult to differentiate between some of the blues and purples, which is not a problem I had previously. (They're not bad if they're in the same card, but if they're on different cards it's much more difficult.)

- Some labels I had paired up specifically with similar vibrancy in different hues are now very different, and no longer matchy.

- I specifically picked an eye-searing pink so it would be difficult to overlook, and now it's a pale pastel colour that fades into the background.

- A lot of the palest versions of colours are pale enough it makes them easy to overlook on a white background, which is less than ideal.

I can swap around the label colours to get some of what I wanted back, but it's super annoying that I have to.

Anyway, I can't see any sort of release notes or blog post about it, so I'm assuming it's still in testing. So I'm writing you this note with the actual practical problems I'm having with it. 

(Also it's way uglier and I hate it, but of course that's utterly subjective and I'm sure you had a good reason for changing the colours, given the amount of pushback aesthetic changes tend to get.)

It does look like your dots/wordbubbles setting sticks, now, which I haven't had previously, so that's helpful! If I can have the words on constantly the colours are less vital (particularly for the blue/purple problem). Still irritating, though.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2023

Hi @T Loy ,

This blog post describes the label colour changes from last year:

https://blog.trello.com/20-new-trello-label-colors 

You may have noticed that Trello are making changes to the Trello theme, including the hotly anticipated dark mode which is due to arrive in the next couple of months.  Check what theme you have running, the new theme has bolder colours than the original theme in my opinion:

Screenshot 2023-05-12 095212.png     Screenshot 2023-05-12 095346.png

Trello also have to make sure that the colours work in dark mode:

Screenshot 2023-05-12 095623.png

This is always going to be an area where there are personal opinion, some will love it and some will hate it.  I am lucky enough have the dark mode beta on my account and I absolutely love it.

The best advice I can give you is to click that "Give us feedback" button because this is a feature they are actively working on so your feedback will be noticed.  I will also try to feedback these thoughts through the channels I have.

Another way you can make labels stand out are to use emoji's:

Screenshot 2023-05-12 100058.png

T Loy May 14, 2023

Yeah, I saw that post, but that has the original colours, not the ones I got on Friday.

Aha, it WAS the theme thing! I'll go do the survey now, too, hopefully there'll be some kind of compromise.

0 votes
AndrewW September 27, 2023

Yes. We have a similar problem. For most of our labels now, the text is illegible as the new 'vague' colour option is too dark to be able to easily read the black text. And (of course) there is no way to opt for WHITE text except for just one of their colour options.

So, as is now typical of Trello / Atlassian, it's one step forward, three steps back.

Shame all these coders that Atlassian lets fiddle with Trello have zero design skills.

*sigh*

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events