Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove private boards

Stan Green March 29, 2021

A friend wanted to share his board with me just for a day. Once he did this, the board is taking one of my 10 boards. He has removed me from his team and made his board Private. He is also not on my team. Now, the board now shows as [Lock icon] Private Board. But the board is still taking one of my 10 boards. I have logged out and back in with no change. How can I completely remove the private board and free up one of my 10 boards?

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2021

I think you just have to leave the board:

https://help.trello.com/article/779-removing-a-member-from-a-board

Stan Green March 31, 2021

I already left the board, but that did not help. I cannot do anything with the board now as it is a private board. In theory, a board that is private and I am not on should not count as one of my 10 boards. Again, I am not on any team related to this board nor on this board.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2021

But the 10 board limit applies to the team?  So if you aren't on the team, then when you go to make a board which team are you trying to put the board in? (and does THAT team have 10 boards in it already)?

Stan Green March 31, 2021

I only have one team. When I go to the boards list, I see the boards I created, I currently have 7, but I also see two boards that are listed as "Private Board" (There are actually 2).   I see "1 remaining" under "Create new board". I can see therefore the private boards are taking up 2 available boards. I need these private boards to go away. Again, I am not on these boards or any team for these boards. I can see this from the "On 7 Boards" list.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
April 1, 2021

Those boards are in your one team though.  You may not be on the board anymore but they are still in your team.

We are renaming Teams to Workspaces, so think about it like this.  You have a Workspace. There are 7 boards you have access to, and 2 you no longer have access to because you left the boards.  You have a few options.

1. Upgrade to Business Class.  That would let you regain control over the private boards in your team.

2. Ask the people on those private boards to MOVE and change the team on those two private boards.

3. Make a new team.  Move the 7 boards over there and just use that team (and go to the original team and delete it). 

Stan Green April 1, 2021

So, how did these boards get on my team in the first place? Someone else put me on their team. I did not do anything that I would see as putting them on my team.  I am not on the other team and I have been removed from the boards. I cannot do anything with the boards as they are private.

1) If you want to talk Business Class, contact me offline.

2) The people on the private boards are not on my team. (I only have one team.) I don't even know who they are.

3) I can make a new team, but how do I move the members of my existing team to the new team?

This is all fine, but I would much rather just be able to remove the two boards and be done with this. I like Trello for ease of use, but this is not easy.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
April 1, 2021

You can also email us at https://trello.com/contact and then support can look at the specifics of your account - then we won't have to make guesses about which teams you are on and which you are not, which teams you are a member of and which you actual are an admin of.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events