Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have consultants that need to see global material and individual material. How do I do that?

Kelsey MacAulay February 17, 2019

Hello.  I have a group of consultants that need to see global material (branding, forms, etc) and then I need to have specific material just for them.  Do I need two boards for each of them or can I do this on one board.  Thank you for your thoughts!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2019

@Kelsey MacAulay this seems like the "material" in question is a bunch of documents right? Like you have a Trello board, and you put your consultants on there and there is a generic "Info for Everyone" list with some cards in it, and those cards have some documents and information, then you have a list for, say, each type of consultant, and one card per consultant and onto each of those cards you want to place a document that only the consultant can see.

Is that about what you're trying to achieve?

If that's the case, then using the card mirroring strategies outlined by @Marty will require each consultant to then have a separate board which is their own board and, in fact, you wouldn't want to mirror the cards, because then everyone could see each others' information anyway.

What you might do instead is have one card per consultant and each of those cards links to a board just for that consultant:

https://blog.trello.com/related-cards-related-boards

If you wanted those boards to have information in them that was generic so that the consultants couldn't even see who the other consultants were, you might copy from a template board, but then you'd have to change your info in lots of different places so you would probably end up with:

1) A generic information board

2) A "consultant board overview board" with one card per consultant, linked to their own boards

3) The consultants' own boards might link them via a card to the general information board

Another option if you don't mind the consultants seeing who the other consultants are, would be to create a folder for each consultant in Google Drive, shared only with that consultant, and then put their private documents in there. You could then have a card per consultant with a link on each card to their folder in Google Drive.

This would obviate the need for creating a bunch of boards.

Ultimately you'd benefit from some automation here, so if you talk a bit more about your specific use case I might be able to present a solution using the API that would make your life easier.

Kelsey MacAulay February 18, 2019

@Iain Dooley Thank you for your response.  

Correct: Material is a bunch standardized documents.  

Correct: Each consultant will also have documents/information just for them.

I am on the fence with each of them seeing each other.  I am thinking that they shouldn't, but for now it will not hurt.

The article https://blog.trello.com/related-cards-related-boards was perfect.  I see the Agency/Client working well for me.  Thank you @briancervino for writing it.

This answers my question.

Thank you once again.

Like Marty likes this
0 votes
Marty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2019

Hi Kelsey,

I'm not on the Trello team and am by no means a Trello expert, but I'll try to help.

It looks like you can sync cards with each other across boards: https://help.trello.com/article/1097-mirroring-cards 

I hope that helps!

Kelsey MacAulay February 17, 2019

Makes sense to me   Thank you.

Like Marty likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events