Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to list and sort cards

Chris Jensen March 30, 2020

I have organized my cards in my "active list" by the order in which I want them completed.
When these cards are completed I would like to then move them to a "done list".

One year from now these same cards will either be moved from "done" back to "active" or I will have the butler automate knew ones again.

My question is, how do I save myself from having to organize all the cards each year, is there a way to automate the process? And I need to be able to add in new cards to the list periodically, AND have their place in line recognized for future.

Is there a power-up that recognizes the order of your cards and will work from list to list?

The "sort by" function does not work as the cards are not alphabetical in title or date created. And if I simply put A) or B)etc. in front of the card names then its very time consuming to add a card into the middle of the list and then re-label every card after that with new letters. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2020

Hi @Chris Jensen 

Welcome to the Community!

Could you a Custom Field?

You can organise by Custom fields if you have the PowerUp enabled. Maybe you could indicate on the back of the card, in a custom field the specific order that you'd like, and then you would be able to order by that?

Hope that helps, please feel free to message again if this isn't what you want and we'll try again! :)

Chris Jensen April 4, 2020

This is a great idea, and seems to work for part of the problem.
The only issue I still have is adding new cards. If I add a new card into the list then all the cards that follow have to be renumbered to fit the numerical order and allow for proper "sorting". Can you think of a way around this?

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2020

Hi @Chris Jensen 

That's a tricky one. I can't seem to find any Butler rule that allows you to change a custom field based on the card before/after it.

However, @Iain Dooley is a wealth of knowledge on Trellinator, which might be helpful. If Trellinator isn't the answer, I'm sure Iain might have some ideas!

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2020

@Chris Jensen @Esme Crutchley one obvious choice would be to renumber the "Order By" custom field every time a card is added to the list by setting it to the internal "pos" value of each card (this number isn't sequential but will be in numerical order):

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/57172e2fb1b09e5342df33ecaa8c09fb

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Chris Jensen April 6, 2020

Thanks guys.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events