How to link from Trello to folder on shared network drive

We have a folder on a shared network drive that contains a number of documents. I want to create a link in a Trello card to that folder.

How can I create a link in Trello to that folder?

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Steve,

Natively, you're not able to create a link to that file. Currently, Trello does not allow attaching local files without them being uploaded to Trello’s servers. This means that shared drive attachments, attachments stored on an FTP server, and other local file storage options can’t be used with Trello without uploading those files to Trello’s servers. As a result, additional changes made to the file in your local shared drive won’t be reflected in Trello, so not ideal.

If you want to keep the file there, as opposed to a cloud storage solution like Google Drive or Dropbox, you can manually paste a link to that file if your computer has assigned a drive letter, like file://F/image.png

When that link is clicked on, Trello will prompt you to copy the link and paste it in to your own browser. (For security reasons, Trello is not able to directly open file protocols other than http://, https://, or mailto:.) Your computer will then try to open the file.

Ok, thank you Michael. That answers my question.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Sep 11, 2018 in Trello

There’s a Power-up for That!

So you’re using Trello at work, at home and to track your new DIY crafts. The family and co-workers are all on board and everything is organized, color coded and has a due date. But still, there’s so...

265 views 1 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you