Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete all checked items from a checklist

tiny Vandenberghe January 17, 2019

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way to delete all checked items in a checklist at once.

When I use a checklist as a to do list, I keep adding to the same list, while checking of a lot of items as well. Once checked, these items are redundant to my list but there are so many checked items, I do not want to delete them one by one. And I don't want to delete the whole checklist because of the to do's that I haven't done yet.

3 answers

1 vote
Amy Baldwin January 11, 2023

you can create an automation task for this. it puts a button on your card you can click to run any time you want.

go to a trello task, on the right there is an "Automation" section. click "Add button". click "Create a custom button". give it a name. under actions, go to "checklists". scroll to the bottom and use the "remove all the items from the checklist". you likely want to change "the" to "completed" and then i change the "checklist" where you have to specify a name to "all the checklists". click the plus icon on the right. scroll back up and hit save. done!

kmcclivereed February 15, 2023

This works great, thank you!

1 vote
Chuck van der Linden January 18, 2019

todo lists suck because they never end and you never feel you completed them.

When using Trello a better approach is to make a card for each 'todo' item.  use checklists for items that have sub-tasks or need more breakdown.  Then when a to-do card is finished, move it to a DONE list.

it's very satisfying to see the done list grow.   and you're not faced with the ever ending card filled with an ever expanding checklist. 

Robert G_ Stalnaker II January 11, 2023

Simply hiding completed items on checklists isn’t ideal. Please add the ability to delete hidden/completed checklist items, or age them out and remove after they’ve completed for some time.

iOS, 2022.16

Amy Baldwin January 11, 2023

you can create an automation task for this. it puts a button on your card you can click to run any time you want.

Like Anne Terry likes this
Anne Terry March 6, 2023

That's great - I like to see what's been done however. Is it possible to create an automation that copies any items NOT completed, onto a new card, with a new date? Excluding 'completed/deleted' items? I'm currently copying the existing card, running the automation to delete completed items and then going from there.

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2019

@tiny Vandenberghe is the "hide completed items" feature not adequate for this?

tiny Vandenberghe January 20, 2019

@Iain Dooley: Whit normal lists it is, but with a todo list, after a while, it is not very informative to know that you have checked 135 items of the 141 on your checklist.

Like Samuel Kalika likes this
Samuel Kalika January 3, 2021

Agreed. We use trello especially for our monday meeting, and go through the list, it's a bit annoying to have to delete stuffs that are months or even years old one by one.

Samuel Kalika January 3, 2021

We need a simple option to bulk delete the completed items.

Like Anne Terry likes this
Apostolos Tsiter January 29, 2021

@Iain Dooley Sadly, this thread is marked as Solved when it is anything but. As @Samuel Kalika suggested, we need a bulk delete feature. I'd suggest a button "Delete completed items" next to "Hide completed items". There are enough use cases for a permanent (and active) checklist...

Like # people like this
Daniel Jiménez May 11, 2021

I really need this feature!!

Like Volker Koenigsbuescher likes this
Serge S January 27, 2022

+1 Would be a good enhancement

kmorris1077 April 4, 2022

+100, in addition to the "Delete Completed Items button" It would be nice to have an option to only copy unchecked items when copying a checklist to a new card.

Like # people like this
Amy Baldwin May 22, 2022

+3 from this household! 

Robert G_ Stalnaker II January 11, 2023

Simply hiding completed items on checklists isn’t ideal. Please add the ability to delete hidden/completed checklist items, or age them out and remove after they’ve completed for some time.

iOS, 2022.16

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events