Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I filter to exclude a label? (Trello)

1 March 12, 2018

I would like to filter my cards in a board to show everything that doesn't have a certain label. How do? I've tried -label:"red" and -label:"Urgent" and that syntax doesn't work.

9 answers

11 votes
Torben_trello
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2018

It's not possible to add a negative operator to filters, but the search feature does support that: http://help.trello.com/article/808-searching-for-cards-all-boards

Mickie Shipley July 30, 2018

Is this a possible feature for the future? 

Like # people like this
Gabe Castillo August 3, 2018

We would like this feature as well.

Like # people like this
Rostislav Simonik September 24, 2018

Would be great to has given feature, maybe filter by search query to reuse given logic. 

Like # people like this
Jennifer Greco October 12, 2018

I would like this as well - search for all cards that do not include one label. Seems like it would be a big help to many.

Like # people like this
jean October 26, 2018

> but the search feature does support that

Yeah, that would be why the question specified filter ;-)

Like # people like this
Martin Buresch December 25, 2018

I really appreciate to have such a Feature to exclude labels in the filter option

Like # people like this
Peter Woodman December 31, 2018

This is a feature I would use a lot as well.

Like # people like this
spencerwasden March 4, 2019

I would like to see this working in the filter as well.

Like # people like this
Tom_Brown March 9, 2019

I'd like to do this so I can find all cards not done

Like # people like this
cassandra June 13, 2019

Yes that would be exactly  how I would use it as well. Show any card is is not marked Done for example.

This feature would be very helpful

Like # people like this
Christophe Broult August 23, 2019

That would be quite useful indeed.

Like Lisa Roberts likes this
Karena Kreger September 6, 2019

I also would need this!

José Vieira December 8, 2019

upvote on that! :) filter out labels would be a great feature ;-)

Fivetee December 18, 2019

Needs this too. Hope that helps ;)

fiona dower May 3, 2020

We need this too. Has it been implemented yet?

Nathan Cayzer June 9, 2020

Such an important feature... PLEASE add!

Like Biel likes this
Marc Pfeiffer January 5, 2021

Would love to have this as a feature too please

Like # people like this
tallcoder June 17, 2021

100% need this feature. I'm kinda shocked it's not a thing yet.

Like # people like this
adam_hauer August 6, 2021

Logged in for first time to upvote. 

Biel October 22, 2021

indeed an important, and I'd expect widely used, feature

ben December 19, 2021

Me too please. This would be very helpful. 

Ryan Walsh January 5, 2022

The search workaround suggested here isn't as useful as being able to see my normal view of the whole board but with certain cards excluded based on which labels they have. I'd really appreciate that view. Thanks.

Like # people like this
Johannes Pöhlmann July 4, 2022

I agree. The search workaround is not very helpful. The search list disappears when I click on one item. The filter keeps in place once I open and close a card. This is what I need. 

Like # people like this
kenneth-loh October 4, 2022

It is unfathomable that anyone could have left out this feature at the first place, let alone leaving it out for another 4 more year!

Like # people like this
Rob Redmond
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 8, 2024

If that was unfathomable, kenneth-loh, imagine being here in the future of 2024 and it still doesn't support regular expression filter creation.

6 votes
biofsoares May 21, 2020

I so would like to have this feature too. My most used board has 26 labels. Searching and filtering NEED exclusions. 

3 votes
Mutahhar July 3, 2022

@Mickie Shipley 
Any update on this, please?

3 votes
Gabe Castillo January 20, 2022

It's almost been 4 years since this issue was raised. Is this on the roadmap? It is difficult to create our workflows without label exclusion.

2 votes
Johannes Pöhlmann July 1, 2022

It‘s a must have feature for me. Sorting by filter keeps the cards in its lists. And it works within the app.

2 votes
Mutahhar January 25, 2022

I am in need of this feature too...

2 votes
Erhan Arat January 19, 2022

Add this feature please!!!

1 vote
Felix X February 19, 2023

Here's how I was able to do this using the browser's developer console:

Quick answer:

To hide all the cards with the stock pink label:

x = Array.from(document.querySelectorAll("a.list-card:has([data-color=pink])"));

x.forEach(x => {x.style.display="none"});

Full procedure & details:

1. While on the board, scroll so that the label you want to filter against is visible on a card.
  2. Open developer tools via F12, Ctrl+Shift+i, or the menu.
  3. Click 'Inspect' or Ctrl+Shift+c, then mouse over the label itself (not the whole card)
  4. Look at the HTML of the selected element, and the child elements - there should be a button element or similar with some fairly distinctive aria attributes, and if it's one of the stock labels, "data-color". Note one of these attributes. In my example, I note that the stock pink label (the one with hotkey 9).
  5. Go to the Console tab of developer tools, or show the console below the Elements view.
  6. Input the code in the block above.

Explanation of the querySelectorAll parameter:

":has()" is a "relational pseudo-class" CSS selector - see https://drafts.csswg.org/selectors/#relational .

Cards in Trello are <a> elements, and they (usually? all?) have a CSS class= attribute including the class "list-card".

The visible label tags on cards are somewhere within the HTML of the card's <a> element.

So, this selector says, "give me all <a> elements that are cards, and which also have some sub-element with an attribute named data-color that has the value pink." Or, looking at it another way, "look at all the elements with the attribute data-color=pink, go up through the ancestors of each of them, then return any that happen to be cards".

Matthew Beadlecomb February 22, 2023

This is a very simple work around for the time being. Thanks for posting!

Dogan Can Akca October 10, 2023

hey @Felix X thank you very much for this valuable sharing.

i tried your method it worked. but there is one problem though. there are too many items in our board's lists, thus they are pretty long.

the method you suggested only clears visible cards with that label. are there any way to make it clear for whole items in all lists?

thanks a lot!

0 votes
WG Trello Admin November 30, 2022

I have found a bit of a workaround which will give you a list of cards that DO NOT have certain labels.

Its using the trello Dashcards powerup to count the cards that meet the "not that label" criteria. and in doing so provides a list of all the cards that comply, which you can export to CSV for further examination.
https://trello.com/power-ups/6048e897c73d032a983e2a7c/dashcards

Its not a replacement for being able to filter the cards in place within the board, but at least gets you the card data you are looking for.

Dash card example.jpg

Lisa Roberts December 9, 2022

Thank you, unfortunately not allowed for my board.  Since it does not fully meet requested functionality I will not pursue requesting company to allow.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events