Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How can I share labels across boards?

I would like to share labels across some boards and be able to search and filter across boards by those labels (tags). Is this possible? And if so, how?

2 answers

Hi @atlasstrom and welcome! As Hannah mentioned, as long as the label name is the same across multiple boards, your label search will pull cards from all boards it can be found on. You also mentioned filtering which is why I wanted to introduce the Quick Lists from our power-up Blue Cat Reports. It has powerful filtering options as you can see in the screenshot I took:

Capture.PNG

0 votes
Hannah Morgan Community Leader Jun 06, 2022

Hi @atlasstrom ! Welcome to the community :) are you able to clarify a bit more around "sharing labels"? Labels exist at the board level, but you can create the same label across many boards. For example, you could have a label titled "Apple" on board A and board B - when searching across all boards, you can use the label search operator "label:Apple" and this would pull both cards with the "Apple" label on boards A and B.

Understood, but I’m looking to create a list of shared labels. What you’re describing -  the labels aren’t shared, so you need to make separate lists/ new labels per board. The search will go across all boards but Im looking for one set of labels applied to different boards. 

Here if you create the label Apple on one board, on the other board when you type A, Apple would appear as a suggestion because it was already added. If you edited the Apple label on the first board, it would be reflected on the second. What you’re describing you need to type and add Apple again creating a separate list, and if you edited it, it would not reflect on the second board  meaning the labels are not shared. Do you know if it is possible to create a shared list of labels, aka tags across boards?

Hannah Morgan Community Leader Jun 08, 2022

@atlasstrom as mentioned above, labels in Trello exist at the board level. Most things are applied at that same level - lists, custom fields, power ups, etc. It's not like Jira where those things exist at the "instance" level. There's no way around it seeing as it's just the way Trello has been designed. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: New years' resolutions with Trello

Congratulations to @Laura Holton , our latest winner of Taco Tuesday! And thanks to @Kristján Geir Mathiesen for sharing the picture of Taco having fun with his new friend  B...

2,315 views 28 40
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you