Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guests and Butler Automations

Cory Grube
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 13, 2023

I have a workspace where I'm the only member, and I have about 10 guests on one board (structured this way for cost purposes). I've set up some Butler rules such that when a card is moved to a list, the user should join automatically, post a comment, etc. 

What I'm actually seeing is that any action is performed by/on me, not the guest. Even variables like {username} point to my username rather than the guest who performed the action.

Do guests not have the same functionality as members when it comes to Butler automations?

1 answer

1 vote
Theodoro Reato
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2023

Hey Cory, 

Welcome to the community,

The Butler will work for a guest as it'd work for a Workspace member or admin of the board. I believe you're referring to the card activity, am I right? 

When you set a Butler automation the automation will perform the operation through your account and register the actions on your name if you were the creator.

For example: if I add a card to the list you set a automation to move the card to a different list you'd see my account being responsible for creating the card and your account for moving it to a different list.

However, you can see a note saying that it was moved via Butler action below the user. 

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 12.35.32 PM.png

Cory Grube
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 20, 2023

Hi Theodoro,

That part I understand, no concerns there.

What I'm describing was more unexpected, but may have been a temporary fluke. I don't think I've seen the behavior since the time of my post. I might have an automation that e.g. posts a comment using @{username}, and it would tag me instead of the person performing the action. Similarly, I would get added to cards rather than the person performing the action.

Since that behavior has mostly resolved, I think the original problem is taken care of. I do have a side question that isn't really answered in the documentation though - Does the "Join the card" action apply to just the user who created the animation, or the user triggering the animation? Depending on the answer, that could have caused some of the weird behavior I observed.

Thanks!

Suzie M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2023

Hi Cory, 

Suzie here, stepping in for Theo; glad to help with this! 

Using the variable @{username} should post a comment with the username of the person that triggered the command. 

While the "Join the card" command will add the person who created the automation. 

If you're not seeing that behaviour, please message us at https://trello.com/contact and we will investigate further. Thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events