Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Trello Assigned Cards Widget on Android auto-update?

tgoris
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 22, 2024

Greetings,

I've just installed the "Trello Assigned Cards Widget" on my home screen on Android and it seems like the widget does not auto-update when I'm added to a new card.

When I manually click the refresh icon in the top right corner of the widget, it updates and everything is displayed as expected.

On top of that, I've noticed that sometimes all the cards disappear from the widget even though the number of cards on the top right of the widget stays the same.

Again, when I manually click the refresh icon on the top right corner, all the cards appear again.

I've taken the time to check if my phone is limiting the Trello widget by optimizing for battery usage and I've disabled the optimization.

Both the issues persist even when the Trello widget gets unlimited battery usage.

I can work around the issues by tapping the refresh icon every time I'm on my homescreen, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the widget in my opinion.

Would it be possible to let the widget update on an interval that would not kill the battery and network usage?

An automatic update every 5 to 10 minutes would be a gamechanger for this widget!

1 answer

0 votes
Alina Kurishko
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 23, 2024

Hi Thomas, 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community! 🙂

I can definitely see your point here, it would be more useful if it updated itself in real-time. I checked with our Android team, and they've confirmed the widget should update at least once per day, so it would be a good way to check any new card assignments from the day before.

The refresh timeframe depends on the OS specifics. Ideally, the widget should be updated  every 30 minutes: https://developer.android.com/reference/android/appwidget/AppWidgetProviderInfo#updatePeriodMillis

Otherwise, the Android app itself should pop-up with a notification badge when a new card is assigned to you if you have the notification type enabled. Those notifications happen in very close to real time. You can turn that on in the Trello app under Settings > Notification Settings.

I also see you've submitted a ticket about this issue, TRELLO-186443. I'll close that one as a duplicate if you don't mind. 

Alina | The Trello Team

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events