Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display cards that do not have "Complete" checked

mcowgur August 3, 2023

I added a custom field, checkbox type named "Complete" because i'd like an easy way to mark cards as 'completed' but i don't want to have due dates.

Now, I'd like to filter cards according to this field; specifically cards that do not have this checkbox checked. How can I create a filter to only display cards where this checkbox isn't checked? I've seen suggestions that 'Dashcards' can do this, but this powerup doesn't seem to actually enable any filtering features. It seems to only allow me to create an additional card that displays a count of cards that match those conditions.

3 answers

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2023

@mcowgur you can create a custom field or label that when checked (or added) it will move the card to a Completed board! You'll want to use the "Rules" section of Automation, and look for a trigger for custom fields that is checked (or when a label is added if you prefer that), move the card to another list on another board.

mcowgur August 8, 2023

@Brittany JoinerThat makes sense, and is definitely a workaround. I just don't understand why i can't filter the state of a custom checkbox field if it is off. The only way to filter is to filter the checked state of a custom checkbox.

At the moment, what I'd like to do is keep each completed task in it's own board, but hide them when they are marked complete.

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2023

@mcowgur admittedly i didnt know you could filter by a checked custom field, i thought trello filters only worked with members, due dates, activity ,labels, and keywords? 

mcowgur August 8, 2023

add a checkbox field to a board, and then add two cards, one with the checkbox checked and leave the other not. Now go to the filter, and type the name of the checkbox field. The card where the field is not checked, will disappear, leaving only the card where the field is checked.

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2023

@mcowgur ah okay that's keyword searching. it sees the name of the checkbox field on the cards where it's checked, so it's reading that text. And i guess it's not seeing that field when it's not checked, probably something in the backend where the field "actually exists" when it's checked, but doesn't exist before it's checked, so the filter API isn't reading the text and acknowledging the field until it's checked.

0 votes
mcowgur August 4, 2023

I've found a very silly workaround. I found that while I cannot filter for a checkbox that isn't checked (show cards where complete is false), I can filter cards that have a checkbox that is checked (show cards where not_complete is true). So, I added two custom fields, (complete and notcomplete) and I added automation to automatically check the complete checkbox when notcomplete is unchecked. And then I added a filter to only show cards where "notcomplete" field is checked.

This is ridiculous. If I can filter cards with a field that is checked, I should be able to filter cards that have a field that is not checked. What is the best way to bring this issue to the attention of the developers?

0 votes
Silvia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2023

Hi @mcowgur 

Silvia from Blue Cat here, we specialize in power-ups that focus on reporting and we love tracking cards in Trello 😺

Have you checked our reporting tool? If you are using the checklists we have a way to show a list of all the cards with a checklist and filters for checked/unchecked items. When creating the list the filtering step looks like this

checklist-filters.JPG

When you sign up for a trial with us at Blue Cat, you can reach out to me at support through the app and we are happy to help with creating a list as the above or anything else you might need.

mcowgur August 4, 2023

I'm not using checklists for all my cards, so I'd like to have a single custom field checkbox labelled "Complete" to indicate that the card is completed.

What I'm really trying to work out is a way to hide cards that are complete instead of archiving them, or moving them to a "completed" board.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events