Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did the "Cut" command stop working in Trello?

Quells T November 24, 2023

About 2 days ago, I noticed that in a Trello's card comment field, if I hit "Ctrl + X" to cut a snippet of text, it will remove the snippet of selected text, but the content is not correctly copied to the clipboard.

When I next hit "Ctrl + V" to paste, the pasted content is the link to the Trello card (and not the section of text previously selected).

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I know it's not my keyboard since I see the correct behavior in gmail and in notepad.

LINK: youtube video demo of the bug

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Quells T November 30, 2023

This has been fixed by the devs.

1 vote
EricFromCanada
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 26, 2023

I have a similar issue, and I can see what the problem is.

On Trello for macOS, when I want to edit the description for a card, I click on it. The text becomes editable. I select some text and hit Command-X. Then a message appears: "Card copied to clipboard". (???) Then when I paste with Command-V, instead of getting the text I _just copied_, I instead get a URL for the current card. As for the text I just cut? It's completely gone! Better hope you hit Command-Z next to undo, or your next move might render it gone forever!

According to https://trello.com/shortcuts, Command/Control C / X / V will copy or move the card that's currently being hovered over. However, it appears this behaviour is still applying when the card is being edited. In fact, not even moving the mouse outside the bounds of the application will prevent the above from happening, nor will right-clicking and selecting "Cut". This is a serious bug, because it's actively breaking the text editing experience and could cause data loss.

1 vote
Aditya Deva November 25, 2023

Yes! I have the same problem for about 1 week. In the "description" area of ​​the card with the "ctrl + x" keyboard command. But if I right-click and choose "cut" then it works. This is a very annoying error.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2023

Have you tried a different browser? Or a different device?

Ste

Quells T November 25, 2023

Good to know I wasn't the only one experiencing the weirdness!

Strangely, it's working correctly for me today (in Chrome browser). So I have no idea why the problem began or how it became fixed /:

Aditya Deva November 26, 2023

I not try a different browser, but after I responded here on the forum and went back to trello it started working normally.

What I did differently was use the "cut" command with the right mouse button instead of using the keyboard. and then it was as if the system "understood" what I was wanting, and the keyboard command started working again.

Like Quells T likes this
Aditya Deva November 26, 2023

I just realized that this error occurs within the description field of a specific card, and on another card the ctrl+x command on the keyboard works without error. On the same screen, same frame, same browser. Very strange... Sometimes the mouse cut command works and other times it gives the same error.

Like Quells T likes this
Quells T November 26, 2023

Yeah, I realized that the times I thought it was fixed was just that card happening to work correctly for a brief moment. I can experience the bugged and non-bugged behavior all in the same card and across different browsers.

I video document the bug here: https://youtu.be/5DtHW2gMaGg

Like Aditya Deva likes this
1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2023

Hi @Quells T 

I gave this a go, and it's working as expected for me.

Have you tried a different browser? Or a different device?

Ste

Quells T November 24, 2023

Thank you!

I decided to test it out and it works correctly if I use the Edge browser, but not Chrome browser (which is my main).

Strange. But this confirms Trello is not at fault. I'll continue to look into this and update for posterity if I find out what about my Chrome settings is causing this.

Quells T November 26, 2023

Sadly, it turns out I am now experiencing the bug in Edge browser as well. It turns out I just got lucky before and clicked on a card that happening to be function correctly at the time. I video-document the bug here:

https://youtu.be/5DtHW2gMaGg

Would appreciate if we could get more eyes on this.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2023

Hi @Quells T , @Aditya Deva , @EricFromCanada 

Given the number of reports on this thread, I'd report this to Trello Support at this point - https://trello.com/contact

Ste

Quells T November 30, 2023

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reminder!

The news seems to have reached the Trello devs - the Cut and Paste bug has been fixed since a couple days ago.

I'll mark this solved.

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events