Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Fields to only one card?

Rebekah M March 22, 2018

Is there a way to add a custom field to only one card on a board?

We have some projects where an element might have 3 deliverables. So those deliverables would have different due dates. However, I don't necessarily want multiple due dates listed on other cards on that board where there is only one deliverable.

12 answers

14 votes
Christopher Chow April 3, 2019

Any luck finding a solution/workaround to this? I also would like to have custom fields but specific for each card, not the entire board. Perhaps someone has come up with something new.

Rebekah M April 3, 2019

Unfortunately no. The answer above pretty much says there's no work around.

Sharon Bingham April 23, 2019

Also wondering if there has been anything implemented as a work around for this, perhaps with the new integrations with Butler?

For example, I have a Team board, which has all kinds of info on it (on different cards, to make it easier to find specific things) about our team. Each Team member has a list titled after them (with their name), and on their list, there are cards like "Contact Info", "Personality Assessments", "Fun Stuff", etc. I wanted custom fields for the Contact Info card, such as "Email" and "Phone", but those fields don't need to be on the other cards. Only the Contact Info cards.

I watched a webinar about the new Butler integrations on April 4, 2019. So I know there's been some changes. Was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the updates would provide a work-around using Butler.

Sharon Bingham April 23, 2019

Just looked through Butler more carefully, and looks like an option for this is still not available. I submitted a feature request.

Like Ashley Matchett likes this
4 votes
Vu Hoang February 4, 2021

While their team are busy making other stuff like Timeline or Calendar View which is nice to have, this fundamental ability at card-level is being ignored. I'm frustrated waiting on this and basically receiving no answer what so ever from their team. 

4 votes
LJ February 4, 2021

+1 vote for this. Having the ability to have different custom fields per card (e.g. different card templates with different custom fields OR templates of custom fields I can quickly choose for a card) would make my life 1000% easier.

I don't see why I should create an extra board for each card with specific fields and link it to my main board. If Infinity adds this I'll switch in a second.

LJ February 4, 2021

This suggestion has come up repeatedly for over 2 years - why is there no interest in implementing this? I don't see how this would change any basic philosophy of trello's structure.

Like # people like this
4 votes
febecallebaut January 5, 2021

I have exactly the same problem!

I think it’s so weird that this has been an issue in over two years and that there is no solution for that what so ever...

Somebody from the atlassian team? Please help us out here ;)

3 votes
Louis Gaulin March 19, 2021

I don't know  if someone from Trello or Atlassian is looking at this section or not.  I would hope they do.

Here's a cue for you Trello. You want to boost membership?  Make a quick fix to the custom field power up:

1. Allow different sets of custom fields, show / hide picklist values colors etc but make it dependant from a Card Template.  It's not super complex to do since you already have templates with extra features stored on the card.

2. Make it as a $$ feature.

Now that we have provide the solution, the ROI, the marketing around it, We would be grateful in exchange if you could assign a Product dev on it.    All of us on this thread, I'm pretty sure, wold be ready to be beta testers.  

But sincerely, it's time that this feature is released.

Phillip Silk-Neilsen May 24, 2021

@Louis Gaulin Totally agree Trello or Atlassian just seem to totally ignore this thread and cant even be bothered to comment.

Like # people like this
Josh DeBoer June 29, 2021

It’s really exasperating to have custom fields for every list on a board. We have requested projects where we ask questions and projects, we do without an intake form. We would love to have a template for each type without having the same custom fields. It's a dumb design.

A lot of the new developments with Trello are solutions looking for a problem. Timeline, Workspace table, Map... who cares...They are all half baked and have little value.
When is the home screen getting improved?

Seems like a greater need for when I tag myself on a checklist (Home) your items are a complete mess. You have a board/boards where you are assigned a task/due date and it’s just a simple list?

Really???

Managing projects and to dos is what people use Trello for, so why does the platform have almost zero insight into all the tasks one has to do?

Like # people like this
Phillip Silk-Neilsen June 30, 2021

@Josh DeBoer You are wasting your time users have been requesting this for over 3 years and nothing has been done not even a reply to say they cannot do it. I just wish there was a similar alternative out there.

3 votes
Phillip Silk-Neilsen January 6, 2021

For me this would be a game changer as we could move our boards to a full CRM.

I know people will say just use Crmble powerup as a CRM, but it requires access to all of your boards in Trello which in our case breaks all of the data protection laws in UK and Eu (don't know about US)

Courtney Dyer January 13, 2021

Just casting one more vote for this capability. It would be a gamechanger, and make me more likely to move more of our processes over to Trello. Thanks for considering. 

Like Ben Clayton likes this
Phillip Silk-Neilsen May 24, 2021

@Courtney Dyer It would seem that the powers the be at Trello just ignore these message boards as they don't even comment. And although Trello might be secure, there is no guarantee that the third party power ups are. It maybe however that GDPR laws in UK & Europe are stricter about clients data.

2 votes
Jenn Davignon September 2, 2022

I think I found the answer to your question, HOW DO I ADD CUSTOM FIELDS TO A SINGLE CARD? Try AMAZING FIELDS plug-in.  It is the closest thing I have found and I just started using it so don't know everything about it.  But already it has allowed me to create all kinds of custom fields and I can "hide" the fields on the cards that the information is not needed.  I hope this helps.

Ola _ Swapp Tech_ LLC September 2, 2022

I can concur since I use it. It does require a subscription for some special additional power user features, but it fills the need

2 votes
Sarah Laurence September 20, 2021

I'm adding a vote for this...not being able to customise each card is really limiting our use of Trello...

2 votes
Wade Christianson May 14, 2019

The only answer seems to be creating a separate board with that one card you want to have the custom fields in and then linking that card into the board you want. 

2 votes
Torben_trello
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2018

Right now, if you create a custom field it will be available for all cards on the board. You can however chose not to actually add a date for other cards on that board. However there is currently not an option to suppress the fields on a specific card - sorry.

Jeffrey Hubbard October 3, 2019

Are you planning to add this feature? It would be extremely useful to be able to have different cards structures for different task requests that come into our trello board.

thanks

Like # people like this
Angshuman Roy December 3, 2019

I have the same issue. I want a custom field to appear only on some cards, not all. Keeping blank custom fields only makes it look cluttered. It would be nice to have this feature.

Thanks.

Like # people like this
Vu Hoang February 12, 2020

I'm following up on this. Is there any plan to add this? Locking all the custom fields for all cards inside a board is really inconvenient.

Like # people like this
Rich Creedy March 26, 2020

It would be great if we could create templates each with their own set of custom fields. 

Like # people like this
Ashley Matchett April 13, 2020

This would be a great feature to add! I'm in HR and I'm trying to keep track of items like Garnishments, Unemployment notices, and employment verifications.

These items don't need to have their own boards created BUT they do need different cards. All three of these items have vastly different drop-down menus and it looks like a hot mess right now.

Like # people like this
Vu Hoang April 13, 2020

@Torben_trello any update on this, please?

Like # people like this
Jeff Sutthoff June 12, 2020

This is pretty stupid.  Who would have this kind of limitation

Like # people like this
Karli Klar September 24, 2020

I'm following up on this. I work with a company that is beginning to use this for CRM and ALL MY CLIENTS hate that this isn't a thing yet. Scrolling all the way past useless custom fields is so aggravating! It would be nice to be able to tuck them away when you don't want to see them.... Even if they are in use honestly!

Like # people like this
Edgaras October 27, 2020

Having the same issue! Would be perfect to have specific fields on each card template.

Phillip Silk-Neilsen January 5, 2021

I too would like this as an option

LANCE DARBY April 7, 2022

This is a major need for me.

1 vote
laura October 14, 2022

Yes custom fields on all cards is most annoying and doesn't fit in with our ideal work flows and clean, organised boards.  Now we have surplus data within some cards... 

1 vote
Sebastian Brauer April 7, 2022

+1 UP, it's will be really helpful 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events