Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting checklist items into cards and renaming the cards

Leslie Rieger March 16, 2022

I am attempting to write a rule that converts all the items from a checklist into linked cards and then renames those cards adding the current month to the name.

I based a rule on the following two questions from a couple years ago:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Converting-checklist-items-into-cards-and-renaming-the-cards/qaq-p/1540791

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Converting-checklist-items-into-cards-and-renaming-the-cards/qaq-p/1143102

And it does everything I want it to EXCEPT change the names of the newly created cards (well, it also copies the due date from the parent card, which I didn't want).

Here is my rule:

Card name change issue.jpg

It also seems to work exactly the same with or without the "find a card with link {triggercardlink}" command, so I'm not sure that's necessary, but it was in the solutions for the previous two questions.

I've created a work-around, but it required 4 additional rules (thank goodness my checklist only has 4 items!), and I'd really like to be able to do it in one.

Anyone have any ideas where I went wrong?  Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2022

Hi @Leslie Rieger ! It looks like it might be because there's a typo in the checklist name. One action contains "to-do" and one contains "to do". 

This rule here worked for me:

when a card with a name starting with "Test" is added to list "To do", convert all the items in checklist "Checklist" into linked cards, find a card with link "{triggercardlink}", for each card linked from an item in checklist "Checklist", rename the card to "{cardname} - {monthname}"

Leslie Rieger March 17, 2022

Good catch!  That's what I get for sometimes naming things "to do" with a hyphen and sometimes without.

It works perfectly now.  Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events