Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Button in Butler doesn't produce a report

Virginia C November 3, 2020

I created a button in Butler to produce a report to a card on my board. It created a new card with one item, but no report. The error message says I have more than 10 cards. When I try to edit the card I can't get the "create a unique card..." option to show up to be selected.

Here is what I used:

create a report with all cards, and create a unique card with title "Report

#{weeknumber}

" in list "Reports" on board "Norwood & DuBose"

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2020

Hi Virginia,

It looks like you might not have the report variable included in your unique card's description.

Here's what I'd suggest. Recreate the button with your report, and when you get to the step of creating a unique card, select the description and include a variable like this:

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 1.21.29 PM.png

Virginia C November 5, 2020

Thanks. That worked.

Is there a way to get the Description in the report?

Virginia

Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2020

Sure, you can get a few different fields in the report.

You'll want to explore using Butler's different Variables. You can enter those into your report's pattern to change what information about your cards are returned.

Here's an example of a report pattern that will return the card name, link, and description in a bulleted format.

- {cardname} {cardlink} - {carddescription}

So, if I trigger a Butler report that finds two cards named Card 1 and Card 2, the description of my new card that has the report in the description will look like this:

• Card 1 https://abc123/card1 Description of the card..
  • Card 2 https://abc123/card2 Description of the card..

Note that if a description is very large it may be ideal to not use that variable instead, and please note that some variables will not work with Butler's reports.

Feel free to try that out though!

Virginia C November 7, 2020

Thanks for pointing out the list of variables. I'll do some experimenting.

Like Garrett likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events