Butler - how to select ALL lists at once for a board button action

Ben Abbott October 27, 2019

When creating a Board Button in Butler, does anyone know how, when creating the rule, you can select ALL lists at once as opposed to having to add individual sub-rules to the Button for each list on the board?

Also, it appears that there's a max limit of 20 lists for which the command will run..?

1 answer

0 votes
Jireh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2019

Hi Ben,

In Butler, board buttons and rules are different: A board button's actions will run when you press it. A rule's actions will run when its trigger happens. You don't define any triggers when defining a board button.

Can you explain what kind of board button you're trying to make? Perhaps I can help you there.

Jireh

Ben Abbott October 29, 2019

Hi Jireh,

Thank you very much for your message.

The button I'm trying to create is to sort ALL lists on my board by cards with the green "Completed" label descending and then by due date ascending. This would keep "Completed" cards at the bottom of all lists whilst then ordering all other cards by due date.

I have been successful in creating the board button except for I have more than 20 lists on my board and when I run the button command it displays an error message and times out after running the action for only 20 of the lists.

Also, the other point I wanted to make was relating to the UX of adding actions to my board button. I had to add a separate action for each list when creating the board button which was time-consuming. It would be helpful to have an option to select ALL lists when defining the button action. (See screenshot attached).

Butler.JPG

Looking forward to your response :)

Thanks,

Ben.

Jireh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2019

Hi Ben,

I understand now, thank you for clarifying. In Butler, you have to specify each list individually to sort. If you are running into timeout errors, I would suggest perhaps breaking your large board into smaller boards for easier management and organization. I will pass on this use case to our team for future improvement.

Ben Abbott October 30, 2019

Thanks, Jireh.

Splitting the board into multiple boards would actually cause me concern that team members then need to engage with multiple sources of lists and it would likely lead to duplication of cards/actions etc. As the project manager, it would also make my projects harder to manage and control.

As you suggested, if the Trello team could perhaps look to improve and resolve the timeout issue for future use that would be most appreciated. Having just discovered Butler I think it's fantastic (and I've shown it to others this week who also agree!) but this problem is obviously a limitation.

Thanks again and best wishes (I love Trello!)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events