Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to make SOME (but not all!) lists narrower?

Steve Shaw September 26, 2019

I have a number of "placeholder" lists that are often empty. And even when not empty, rarely have more than one or two items. Would love to be able to make them take less horizontal space.

For example, I have heavily used lists for moving tasks between stages: Planned Q3, Code Now, In Next Build, Test, Failed Test, Verified.

But I also have variations on these, when an issue is only on one platform:

Code Now (iOS), In Next Release (iOS), Test (iOS).

Add more platforms - and this becomes unmanageable. Most of the time, many of those platform-specific lists are empty (or we don't need to look at them right now) - we do them in batches when focusing on next release for that platform.

-------------------------

Simple features that would help:

1. Click on a list header, to toggle it between "Expanded" and "Compact". Compact might default to half or third the width. Compact would hide most detail on each card - just show the title. Never use more than two? three? lines per card: enough of the title to get the gist of it, but don't take up too much room. Maybe smaller font?
  2. Set a board-wide "threshold" for "Number of items below which a list is shown Compact". E.g. "If less than 2 items, make list 1/3 its normal width".

-------------------------

Discussion of alternative solutions:

A "Grid" layout wouldn't help enough, because only certain lists have variations - . Also, the lists vary greatly in length - it would be challenging to "Grid" the lists, yet keep the desired order.

"Regions" (groups of lists), and ability to change layout of individual regions, would be helpful. The "central" portion of our lists, that manages this hand-off, could be a Region containing a grid - IF we can control where each row of grid starts. (So, NOT a "Flow Layout" that wraps to next row at browser edge.) Specifically: one row per platform, then the final row would be cross-platform [Xamarin Forms - FTW!]

1 answer

0 votes
Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2019

Hey @Steve Shaw 

Wow, thanks for the super thorough recommendation here!

I'm afraid that we don't have any immediate plans to allow resizing of lists, but this extra info definitely makes a case for why it would be a great addition for a use case like yours.

I'll pass all this along to our team for consideration—let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to share for you.

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events