Using Trello To Thrive During Covid19 Times

A lot of us have had our worlds turned upside down a bit lately, and in the midst of all the chaos, we’ve found ways to adapt. It’s something that always inspires me about humanity - our resiliency to solve problems as they arise, and no matter how destructive something is, we don’t let it destroy us completely.

Finding ways to work and communicate during a pandemic isn’t the first challenge and won’t be the last, but it’s been awesome to see individuals and companies rise to the occasion. And as Olaf mentioned in Frozen 2, “we call this controlling what we can when things seem out of control”. He’s onto something there. While we can’t control the crazy state of the world right now, there are some pieces we can control in our tiny corners. I wanted to write about a few ways I see Trello specifically helping us out to survive and thrive by controlling what we can. 

1) Managing relationships/keeping in touch with people.

COVID19 has reminded us that we’re all human and encouraged us to take a few deep breaths, put aside our differences, and check in on each other. Have you noticed the increased volume of your FaceTime and Zoom calls with family and friends? More human conversations from your vendors or people trying to sell to you (or, if you’re in sales… your clients)? Managers checking in on their employees?

image.png

Trello has always been a great tool for managing contacts and organizing check-ins and community, but with the recently developed Crmble Power-Up, it’s gotten even more powerful. I’m using Trello and Crmble to manage influencer relationships for products I’m working with, and even in my personal life, I’m using it to keep track of my friends, family, and coworkers that I want to make sure I’m checking in on. It’s easy to organize a board of people, create follow up checklists, and reminders to make sure I’m connecting with people in my life. (Crmble is free for all users until July, so it’s a great time to try it out and see if it’s a good solution for you and your team… for work and personal use!)

2) Teachers organizing their students 

In March, teachers across the world were told to take everything they’re doing and make it virtual, pretty much overnight. And they did it! I know it’s a challenge to keep track of kids in a physical world, let alone a virtual one. So major props to them!! Teachers have found ways to use Trello to organize their schedules, give students activities, and even manage communication with parents. You can get more ideas from the Trello blog and Trello Education Templates.

image.png

Btw, did you know teachers can get Business Class free for a year?  

3) Handling team requests and projects 

I’ve been working remotely prior to COVID19, so I had already built processes for handling requests from my team, but I wrote about this process in case it helps anyone else who is used to receiving requests at their desk and is looking for a good way to pivot to virtual.

image.png

Trello is a great tool for handling (and standardizing) requests from others on your team and making sure they get done, while clearly communicating their status. It’s also a great way to organize your to do list for the week and ensure you’re focusing on the most important tasks while giving visibility to others in the org.

4) Resource aggregator (quarantine activity board)

There’s been so much information going around lately, and so many interests I’m trying to pursue, I’ve needed a way to organize all my info. As usual, Trello has been a great way to organize all of my info.

I created a Quarantine Activities board to keep track of all the different ideas I kept hearing about to do during Quarantine, and have had people copy that board for themselves, and also add their own ideas! Feel free to copy and add to your boards and make it your own… you’ll never run out of things to do, and you can easily add your own ideas on there! It will be a great way to look back on this time and remember what you did. 

image.png

I’ve also been aggregating my articles to read in my new Article Reading List board and my Developer Resource board. With so much info coming at me, I need a way to group it, and I’ve learned my email inbox doesn’t do the job. :) 

I hope this has given you some ideas, and even some hope, in these times. If you’re finding something in specific to be a challenge, comment in here or create your own post as a discussion and I can assure this community will rally to help you as best we can. Trello can’t solve everything, but I’ve found a lot of ways it can bring a little bit of order to a world that feels so unorderly these days.

2 comments

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2020

These are great examples, Brittany! I especially like the last one. 😃 I hope you're doing well.

Like Brittany Joiner likes this
Joshua Mathews October 26, 2020

5) Family Tasks  A Trello board is more flexible than some of the turnkey family chore / family task apps! 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events