Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote work habit tracking with Trello

When working remotely, all your days can start to blend together. When that happens, it's easy to get burnt out. Which is... less than ideal. 

giphy

To help, I recommend using Trello (are you surprised?) to track daily habits and even incorporate a little journaling piece to help you stay grounded and focused to avoid total insanity of being inside the same house (and maybe even the same room) all day long, every day. 

I wrote on the Trello blog about how to track habits and journal in Trello, but let me give a quick recap here. 

1. Use the card templates to make a daily card template.

Instead of setting up the card every day, you can just use a template and create a new card that has everything you need from the get-go. Better still, use the Card Repeater power-up to have this card created every day for you.

2. Use custom fields to organize your daily data.

I use custom fields to force me to write down something I'm grateful for, my mood, what foods I ate, a task I accomplished that I'm proud of, etc. But you can use it to log anything you want!

3. Use checklists to list the daily habits you want to accomplish. 

As a remote worker, it's important to get a solid routine and build habits to help break up your day. Here are some good habits to instill: 

• Eating lunch - away from your desk!
  • Read a chapter in a book
  • Go outside for a walk
  • Learn a language (play on Duolingo)
  • Write down three priorities for the day
  • No caffeine after noon
  • Charge your headphones
  • Update your work Trello board(s)

4. Use comments to write any notes about your day.

I've never been a huge fan of journaling, but I'll admit that taking a few minutes to log what happened can be relaxing, and also help you recognize each day is a little different than the day before. It helps you to take a moment to reflect on the day, think about what you can improve for the next day, and just unwind any thoughts before taking those to bed with you. (Can't promise that won't still happen... as one who has anxiety, nothing ever stops me from taking all my thoughts with me when I go to sleep, but you can always try and I do find journaling helps to unpack things!)

I hope this process helps you like it's helped me! And I'll be honest - I don't do this every day, but whenever I feel too much change or overwhelmed, or even just stuck in a rut, this is always helpful to come back to and focus me and get me on the right path. Let me know if and how this works for you!

2 comments

meghna_singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2020

Thank you for sharing @Brittany Joiner , this is fun!

Максим Туев June 2, 2020

Thank you! Instead of Card Repeater, you can use this power-up, it is a more complete Habit Tracker and can remind you about tasks

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events