4 Tips For Planning Trello Events

I hosted my first Trello event a few weeks ago, and it was absolutely a blast!! I had so much fun meeting other people and talking about Trello. I also got feedback that I maybe talked a little too fast cause I was so excited. 

giphy

I've had several people ask me for tips on how to plan trello events, so I thought I'd compile those tips here for everyone!

1. Find a local partner.

The best thing you can do is find a local place that is passionate about Trello or passionate about the audience you're connecting with if you're doing a specially-themed event. In my case, I was hosting an event about using Trello for business, so I found a local incubator/co-working space that happened to be Trello fans as well. It was a win-win! They provided the venue for free and helped me promote the event. 

2. Have a strategic content theme.

Depending on the area you live, you might be able to just say "Trello nerds unite!". But if you're not seeing enough interest there, try hosting an event with a specific theme. For example, I did Trello for Business and promoted it as a way for businesses to learn to be more productive. I knew that would attract business professionals and entrepreneurs whether they were interested in Trello or not. If you're struggling to find enough interest just in Trello, focus on a specific use case for Trello and find people who are looking for that problem to be solved!

3. Don't waste too much money on advertising.

I spent a little bit of money on Facebook ads and printing flyers... but I don't know that a single person came to the event from one of those channels. Instead it was through organic word of mouth and local businesses promoting it. I reached out to several co-working spaces, marketing agencies, and local businesses that I knew would benefit from the content. I also posted on community calendars and reached out to the Chamber of Commerce to promote. While I can't guarantee those brought any people, they were free and little effort to do.

4. Be excited. 

Passion is contagious. I posted in a Facebook group about the event and someone drove over 5 hours away to come. Never under estimate how much people care about seeing you excited about something! I love the fact that we do this for free, because as soon as I tell people that Trello doesn't pay me to do this, I am literally doing it because I believe in the product, people realize that it MUST be good. 

So those are 4 tips to plan a Trello event. I hope they help you as much as they helped me. If you're interested in planning events for Trello, you can learn more and apply here. If you've got an questions, feel free to comment on here and ask me!

5 comments

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2018

Great tips @Brittany Joiner

I had wondered if it was worthwhile to pay for ads on FB.

cassieACE
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 15, 2018

You're awesome and thanks for sharing your tips! 

Brien Matthys October 19, 2018

Great post!

Amy White May 10, 2021

If you planning to organize events then why don't you create an amazing event flyer, use an online event Flyer Maker to create a stunning flyer for your event upload your event images and destination to make it attractive, you can also use this flyer on social media as invitation for event. 

Finer Jewelry June 11, 2021

Really This is an informative post and great tips thanks for sharing , I was plan a Custom Jewelry event this is nice info.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events