Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice, professional insight requested for an aging, angry and abashed man.

Aaron Lefler
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 1, 2020

Hello faceless community. I hope that one or more, of you can answer a question about computer science, education and specialty/focus.

I am somewhat of a late bloomer, well not really, I spent a bunch of time in the navy. I find myself in my 40s and looking to return to school for a Bachelors in Computer Science.

I have found it quite overwhelming when looking at the offerings universities have in this field. I simply don't think I have the proper vocabulary to ask the right questions when I am searching for what I really want to specialize in.

I don't think I want to be a straight up coding developer, but coding and working with software or helping to create software doesn't scare me. I simply find working with the hardware and back end server, administration, security, systems engineering to be more appealing.

So if one or two of you could offer some guidance and the best area to focus my efforts going forward I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I plan to either i) complete the entire degree online (most desirable) or ii) the only other choice go back to Uni and learn with people have my age. (I'm not as young and "shiny" as I once was.)

Thank you.

Aaron L.

"I've never failed at anything. Except life."

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Aaron Lefler
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 2, 2020

Hey thank you. That's nice I hadn't considered then. I'm not even sure if they are here in Vancouver. They must be.

0 votes
Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2020
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events