It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Bubble Framework blog post: Share your thoughts and questions here!

Hi, Atlassian Community! I’m Maui Duclercq, an R&D program manager based in Sydney. 

Last year, I worked closely with the Confluence team on the release of their 7.0 platform for Server and Data Center customers, and we released within a week of our goal. Our success was thanks to the team’s hard work and good decision making, helped along by a new kind of project management technique I developed. 

In essence, the “Bubble Framework” is a data-driven feedback loop that enables dev teams to actively respond to change – specifically by accurately tracking progress and anticipating risks of delay – and course-correct accordingly. You can learn more about it in our blog post.

We’d love to know your thoughts on the project, and I’m game to answer any questions you might have about how we did it and how to execute your own version. Fire away in the comments below!

4 comments

How is it working in Jira? With the JQL you use which fields ?

If you use tags, components, links or Bitbucket branch, does the ticket creation need a bit of overhead? Does the analyze time (before starting the work) needs some relative ticket size comparison?

Like Lauren Marten Parker likes this
Maui Atlassian Team Mar 18, 2020

Thanks for reaching out @Paul-Émile_Migneault!

This early version of the estimator is a standalone program. The JQL itself contains a relatively limited number of fields to keep things simple eg. issue key, issue type, created, resolved and resolution. The estimator then queries the API to retrieve additional info such as a start date (eg. status transition from 'To Do' to 'In Progress') and an end date (eg. status transition from 'In Review' to 'Done') where applicable.

This mechanism is very unobtrusive for teams as it doesn't require any additional effort from them other than regular backlog grooming discipline. We have two modes available for computation: one is based on throughput (think Kanban) and the other one is based on lead time analysis (more sophisticated). Teams are encouraged to continue using estimation games (eg. planning poker) if that helps flesh out gaps but the estimator is not using team estimates at all.

Hope this answers your questions.

Like Lauren Marten Parker likes this

The approach sounds good but is not useful without the program or some form of example.
Do you have plans to release something we could take a look at so it would be possible to try this approach with a wider audience?

Maui Atlassian Team Apr 14, 2020

Thanks for reaching out @Brett Evans 

I agree an example would definitely be helpful. This could be the topic of another blog post.

This framework is still very much experimental despite its use expanding internally. To be honest, there are no plans to make it a feature at this stage. There's still lots to learn for us before we'd consider releasing it.

That said, what scenario would you be interested in trying it? Some context would be really helpful.

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Asked in Teamwork

Upcoming AMA with the makers of Teamistry, Atlassian's first podcast!

Teamistry, Atlassian’s first podcast (launched March 16th), looks past the front page headlines to discover incredible untold stories of teams behind the scenes who joined together to do what no...

1,068 views 31 4
View question

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you