Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different year, different perspective? - or not

If you haven’t checkout out today’s Welcome Wednesday by @summer.hogan, you should go do that now.

I’m a huge fan or the Work Check Podcast and I listened to all of Season 2 when it was released last year. However, I thought it would be fun to go and listen to a number of the episodes again and see if I still feel the same way now as I did when they were released.

If I think back over the last three to four years, a lot has changed within my life. Back in 2019, I was going to an office 99% of the time. I was working for a different company with a very different culture. I had earned the right to work from home occasionally, but that was used to isolate myself from others so I would have focus time to work.

When the pandemic started and everyone was sent home, we all struggled to communicate. The Atlassian Team Playbook wasn’t full of amazing remote team plays like which exist today, and the proper processes and culture were not in place to prevent people from trampling on the personal time and space of others.

Now, I work for an amazing company, and while I can’t say for sure what the early days of the pandemic looks like for them, I was hired while lockdown was in full effect still 6 months later and I was a part of 70 employees onboarded remotely. While they didn’t reference the Atlassian Tam Playbook directly, a number of the same concepts were ingrained in the culture here. I’m also pleased to say that even as the company has continued to grow, they have not abandoned that core culture that makes them great.

Getting back to where I was in the beginning, this has made me reflect heavily that what is important to me has changed. As I advance in my career, change companies, prioritize different aspects of my home life, what was important last year might not be the same as this year.

If you haven’t seen season 2 of the Work Check Podcast, this will be even more great content for you to explore. If you have, consider following my lead and listen to it again. You never know, you might have your mind changed.

Have a great week everyone!

9 comments

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2023

<3, @Jimmy Seddon

Honestly, I love the shout-outs. Even though S2 is from last year, the topics are evergreen and still relevant to today.

Not only are we interested in whether you're into the debates on the show, we want to know which episodes spoke most to you. So, holler if you have favorite topics that made you rethink how you work!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2023

Thanks @Christine P. Dela Rosa!  I actually added that comment to the Welcome Wednesday post.  It was the one about wearing pajamas to zoom meetings :D

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2023

Fair @Jimmy SeddonWas thinking about thus discussion specifically to generate comments about favs here, but you’re totally right!!!

I also liked that episode because it legit made me reconsider work attire as something where I could influence others about perceptions (vs influencing others about how they saw me). And I wouldn’t have reconsidered without the research Dominique brought to the table.

Thank you for the thoughtful note on Summer’s thread!

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2023

Thanks @Jimmy Seddon for the kind words! I loved the wearing pajamas to a zoom meeting as well! Now I think I need to go listen to Season 1 as well! I learned so much from Season two I don't know why I wouldn't! 

Like # people like this
Dinesh Babu June 11, 2023

Thanks!!

Like Dan Breyen likes this
N Anjaneyulu June 12, 2023

Have a great week !

Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2023

@N Anjaneyulu welcome!

Benny June 17, 2023

Thanks!

Sayed Bares [ServiceRocket]
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2023

Thanks and have a nice weekend!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events