Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JQL to find an empty mandatory field?

Jim Strange May 20, 2020

Hi folks,

I've recently added a mandatory custom field, and then done a bulk update to set it to one of two values, based on another field (a label, which we're finding too error-prone).

The bulk updates worked okay, but there were some exceptions, ie tickets that didn't match the bulk update criteria, and therefore the mandatory field is not set. I want to mop these up.

When I try to use JQL to find these, Jira just tells me there aren't any. Yet I can go through the backlog and pick them out. So what's occurring?

My query is this:

project = TLA and (field != "Option 1" and field != "Option 2") OR field is empty

This only finds records where I've actively set field to a valid value that isn't "Option 1" or "Option 2." It's refusing to match "empty" with "not set." How do I find the records that haven't been captured by the bulk change?

1 answer

0 votes
Mathis Hellensberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2020

Hi @Jim Strange 

Are you sure the issues dont have a value? Issues that dont have the field in their view screen might still have a value even though you cant see it on the issue :)

Jim Strange June 19, 2020

Hi Mathis,

It's a brand new field so the values will have defaulted to Not Set. There are only three possible options for this field and I've tried them all!

Mathis Hellensberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2020

Hmm.. what happens if you pick one out and change the value from None to whatever and then back? Are you able to query them then?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events