Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Too many invalid password attempts. "

Kunal Prakash July 7, 2021

OK this is not fun at all. I've got two PCs, both running SourceTree. I'm moving my development environment across from my old PC to my new one. SourceTree was functioning perfectly fine on both, until today on my new PC when I started getting the infamously dreaded "Too many invalid password attempts. Log in at https://id.atlassian.com/ to restore access." error when trying to push changes or clone a repository. Bizarrely, the this does not happen with the SourceTree on my old PC, which seems to be working fine. I've tried the following;

• logged in at https://id.atlassian.com/ as the error message says to do
  • refreshed OAuth tokens
  • changed my BitBucket password
  • removed and added my user in SourceTree
  • reinstalled SourceTree

I'm essentially stuck, I can't push up my changes which means the rest of my team can't progress work on this project any further. Does anyone have any ideas? 

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Kunal Prakash July 8, 2021

Luckily I have managed to resolve this. My solution, in case this helps somebody, was to go to the main menu, Tools > Options > Git tab then update my Git version using the "Update Embedded" button. Hell of a thing.

jacel January 18, 2022

This saved me... thank you sir

1 vote
Answer accepted
DCourage July 14, 2021

Was able to pull using the command line (git pull origin), but unable to with SourceTree.

After trying many different suggestions, I installed git from git-scm.com.

Then in SourceTree went to Tools > Options > Git > Git Version

Selected "System" button.

Restarted SourceTree.

Now able to pull without "too many invalid password attempts".

Kunal Prakash July 14, 2021

Hi @DCourage good one. This sounds like what I did, in a round-about way, which is to update the installed Git version, or switch to using an updated version.

Rish February 16, 2022

This worked for me. Thank you! 

Sidenote: I also closed my coding environment with pycharm which is linked to sourcetree, before doing any of these steps. 

Finally, I reverted back to version 3.4.5, just fyi

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events