Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Older Version Of Sourcetree Cannot Be Removed" - Can't Uninstall or Reinstall Sourctree

Matthias Shapiro February 1, 2016

I'm having a similar problem as the person in this question, but the answer that has been marked as "correct" is a solution that no longer works.

answers.atlassian.com/questions/300711/the-older-version-of-sourcetree-cannot-be-removed

I've been trying to upgrade Sourcetree to the latest. I kept getting "The older version of SourceTree cannot be removed". I've deleted the Sourcetree files and the SourceTree local data. 

The Microsoft Installer Fixit tool the was recommended in the answer above is no longer available at the provided url. When I search for it, I get a message that says it is not supported on my version of Windows (I'm running Windows 10).

I need help here. I can't reinstall Sourcetree and I can't uninstall SourceTree.

6 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
ronnie_barker February 23, 2016

I seemed to have an old one stuck in the registtry which can be found at or near: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\{GUID} - do a search for "sourcetree".

I uninstalled all version in the normal way from add/remove programs then I exported the key first just in case and then deleted it and the installer ran fine.

Matthias Shapiro February 23, 2016

That did it! You are a giant among men.

vuvas March 18, 2016

Finally this solved my problem. Thanks

mkoertgen April 3, 2016

Thanks, that helped.

Kejal sanedevil@gmail.com April 27, 2016

Thanks a bunch!

Billy R. August 29, 2016

Thank you! I want to add that I was unable to "uninstall" using Windows Feature and Programs. So what I did was I deleted the entry, tried to uninstall one more time (it didnt work), then I deleted the sourcetree folder below Atlassian!

1 vote
Yuriy Shalak May 11, 2017

After receiving Atlassian's email about security vulnerability in versions prior to 2.0.20 I was trying to uninstall 1.9.10.

It did not work. I ended up finding the installer for this version (mental note: keep the installers!), installing it and then uninstallng. That worked.

1 vote
IgorYastrebov March 24, 2016

Hey, I do have same problem - cannot neither install new version (1.8.3) nor uninstall any previous - no previous versions visible in any uninstall tools.

I already delete every f**ing regystry entry point with "sourcetree" word

Do same with HDD.

No progress sad

And this is 3rd or 4th time happening for last year.

FIXED!!!

In many cases, the problem is with MSI registry - corrupted reg.

Here is the only tool can fix corrupted MSI registry: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/en

Stefan Jarominek July 25, 2016

It worked for me too,

upgrading 1.8.3 to 1.9.5

0 votes
Anders Kielsholm May 15, 2017

I had the same issue when updating to version 2.0. I could see there were a lot of installed SourceTrees <v2.0, but the registry entry seemed to be corrupt. When I deleted them from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall (not that WOW6432 might be left out in some cases) it worked. There was one key ("folder") per installation

0 votes

In many cases, the problem is with MSI registry - corrupted reg.

Here is the only tool can fix corrupted MSI registry: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/en

0 votes
Tomer Kazaz February 19, 2016

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. 

Maybe the solution is to try and remove sourcetree manually? (and not through Microsoft installer)

Atlassian support: Could you share instructions on how to remove sourcetree completely from windows?

Mukesh Kumar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2023

Please follow these steps:

• Uninstall Sourcetree using the Windows Uninstall program.
  • Delete the folders/files below before proceeding to the next step:
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete all Sourcetree folders and files (if any)
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all Sourcetree folders and files (if any)
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\SourceTree-Settings and delete all Sourcetree folders and files (if any)
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Atlassian and delete all Sourcetree folders and files (if any)
  • Download Sourcetree for Windows and install it.

Let me know if it resolves the issue. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events