"Errors during merge" -- can't resume rebase

Ken Ficara November 6, 2012

I am doing a rebase, resolved some conflicts using FileMerge, and I have no outstanding conflicts. However when I resume the rebase, I get a dialog saying "Errors during merge," with no further information. Aside from aborting the rebase and starting over, how do I resolve this????

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

OK, this was the problem -- I am working on a Mac and using FileMerge as the external merge tool. FileMerge was set to create a backup of the pre-merge file (with an .orig) suffix. Adding a new file during rebase gets Sourcetree (CORRECTION: git) very upset. Once that was removed, the rebase continues fine.

Atlassian, please improve that error message? (Or include suggestions on possible causes?)

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2012

The message actually comes from git rather than SourceTree, but if we can we'll try to intercept it in future.

Ah, that makes sense. Just took me a while to figure out what it was so upset about. I've also had trouble if I resolve with a merge tool and THEN hand edit. I had to unstage and restage the file to continue the rebase. Thanks.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2012

Ah yes, this is because git requires you to stage all your changes before you continue the rebase. Another way to resolve if you hand-edit is to right-click > Resolve > Mark Resolved.

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2012

Are you sure it's not just because there are further conflicts generated from the next commit in the rebase? The rebase stops every time conflicts are encountered, then when you resolve and continue the rebase it applies the next commits in order and stops again if it hits more conflicts etc.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events