had to add 30-60k files and now checking out a branch is so slow

kishjtk August 26, 2021

I had to add 3 folders in order to track possible modifications even though we are only modifying a handful (they are the vendors folder where some customization may and does occur). Is there some way to speed up branch checkouts in this situation (over five minutes) or (I don't want to do this) should I zip up the entire thing and just put a zip file there. 

2 answers

0 votes
kishjtk September 1, 2021

Here is the approach we took to deal with this -

removed this information from the repository

place it in a new "by itself" repository since it changes bvery rarely, and is usually due to upgrades rather than configuration/customization modifications.

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2021

Hi @kishjtk,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

There is no option in Git to "speed up" the branch checkout. Are you switching between two branches that have these new files on them? Or are you switching between one that have them and another that doesn't? You may want to consider doing a shallow clone of specific branches instead of cloning the full history. Have a look at this post regarding shallow clone, How to Use Git Shallow Clone to Improve Performance. You should also look and see if Git LFS is an option to be used, especially if you have files that are over 10Mb in size.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events