customized git log output

Hello,

is was wondering if there is the possibility to create a customized git log. We are working with different version and bugfix branches in git and need to know, which of the commits haven't been cherry picked from the bugfix to the version branch.

Via the command line it goes like this:

git log --cherry-pick --oneline --no-merges branch1...branch2

Greets, Daniel

2 answers

Sorry, you can't add extra options to the log display right now. A couple of things that may or may not help:

1. You can multi-select rows in the log and SourceTree will show the difference between those two points in time (although it only shows the changes, not the individual commits)
  2. You can run Custom Actions to perform any command you like, but that obviously won't be formatted nicely or allow you explore the content like you can do normally with commits inside ST

Is something like this planed? We're a big team and not everybody is capabale of using the command line (or doesn't want to).

I've added a feature request for more log filtering options: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-1261

FWIW, I've always organised bugfix / release branches so that you there's no need to cherry-pick (unless someone commits to the wrong branch), since bugfix branches are always merged forward wholesale into the main development branch, rather than cherry-picking bugfixes back into the fix branch. This is also how git-flow recommends that you work.

Thank you. I certainly agree with you that this is be best workflow. Unfortunaltely our workflow isn't like that. We've only got "huge" versions (like 1, 2, 3, 4) and especially bugfixes need to be cherry-picked from the main development branch into the older versions.

It's like this:

master -> bugfix_version_1 -> version_1

In the bugfix branch the commits are checked and eventually cherry-picked into the older version. With a lot of versions and developers it's hard to keep track. And the command I posted above works fine to determine which of the bugfixes ain't in the version.

If I would be able to get this in the search view it would help a lot.

Yahoo engineers are still working on improvements throughout all yahoo sites and some avatars may be slow to show (it could even be a day or so) so try to be patient.

Logistic Services in Noida, Goods Transport Services in Noida

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

256 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot