Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is SourceTree becoming so slow

Andy Huber February 5, 2014

Hey guys

We are huge fans of all your atlassian products and we are using them a long time. But the last two updates of Sourcetree (Mac) made the app unusable. Wew allways have CPU usage of 400% when we try to do some commits in sourcTree. Is there an update comming which fixes this massive consumption of CPU power?

Thanks for your answers

Andy

4 answers

0 votes
Constantino Cronemberger January 28, 2015

I am experiencing the same problem on a Citrix virtual machine. Last time I used it I was checking the modified files one by one and every time I selected the checkbox of a file it was going crazy with the CPU and took a long time to go to the next file. I had a list of 50 files to review. I will try this again with all IDEs closed. I am using IntelliJ IDEA.

0 votes
Peter February 22, 2014

I am also experiencing the same problem on my Macs. New to SourceTree, but its obvious that the SourceTree process is running off and chewing up all available CPU. Still havent nailed down a use case that triggers it. Killing and restarting SourceTree cleans it up , but that is not a good solution, esp if in the middle of pushing a committ...

0 votes

Hey Kieran

We are using git and the problem occured with the last to updates of sourcetree. There was no problem before that. We have only running or IDE's (e.g. PyCharm, RubyMine, Eclipse)

Best regards

Andy

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

Hey Andy,

This is usually because there's something constantly writing changes to a file in your repository, so the file watcher fires up and asks Git for a status on the repository which continuously utilises your CPU. Might be worth checking you've not got any applications open that could be doing this. Are you using Git or Mercurial? Mercurial uses Python, so certain versions or scripts could have gone rogue, too.

Cheers

Hey Kieran

We are using git and the problem occured with the last to updates of sourcetree. There was no problem before that. We have only running or IDE's (e.g. PyCharm, RubyMine, Eclipse)

Best regards

Andy

I did a test with everything closed (besides Microsoft OCS, that is not related and the task manager), no command line and no IDE open. It took 7 seconds of CPU at 100% to move a single file from "unstaged files" to "staged files" and to show the diff of the next file. Tried it again and took 10 seconds this time.

I have version 1.6.12.0

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events