Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would stop SourceTree-GUI from fetching/pushing if command line works (with ssh)?

R October 20, 2014

I've got keys configured on the command line that I bring up from the "Terminal" button on SourceTree, but when I try to fetch/push from the SourceTree GUI, I get the following:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch origin
Access denied
FATAL ERROR: Server sent disconnect message
type 2 (protocol error):
"Too many authentication failures for git"
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

This is via ssh.

What would the GUI be doing with the same repo that's different than the command line?

TIA.

EDIT: Tried starting over, pulling from the existing repo I've set up from the Terminal rather than pushing a new repo to the server.

Unfortunately, it asks me for a password when I believe it's supposed to ask me for the key.  The only strange thing I haven't seen before is that the username for this repo is in the format `ssh://git@repo.server.com:MyLogin/repo_name.git`

I haven't seen a login name presented in the "port" location before.

But I'd still think that the key request should come up.

image2014-10-21 9:13:31.png

The result is...

image2014-10-21 9:18:46.png

2 answers

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2014

I read your question again. I think the problem is not with things being parallel, but that SourceTree remembers incorrect credentials. You can edit them via Repository\Repository settings in the menu.

R October 20, 2014

Tried starting from scratch and cloning the repo I set up; edits above. /shrug

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2014

The structure of the URL is definitely wrong. How did you end up with that? (If you want to add an existing clone for SourceTree to use, you are on the wrong tab, you should use the "Add working copy" tab instead of the "Clone repo" tab.)

R October 20, 2014

With the tab, I was trying for a "clean repo install", so was cloning "from scratch". Looks like the answer was that Pageant wasn't installed. I thought SourceTree did that for me, but apparently not. ? The URL (which came from an on-network install of GiLab) does work, strangely enough.

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2014

There is an option in Tools\Options\General called "Check default remotes every N minutes". This causes fetches in the background. If it is on, switch it off.

R October 20, 2014

I'm a little confused. How would background fetches throw off an explicit push? For what it's worth, I turned that off, then clicked "fetch". Same error as above. Clicking "Terminal", then `git fetch`, then typing in my passphrase from the command line still works.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events