What permission to use for Sourcetree?

Malcolm Edwards December 9, 2021

I need to create an "app password" for Sourcetree / Bitbucket as per this notice:

https://bitbucket.org/blog/deprecating-atlassian-account-password-for-git-and-bitbucket-api-activity

The documentation does not indicate what permissions are needed. Should I confine it to projects and repositories or enable everything to make sure it will work correctly?

1 answer

1 vote
Nick Stone December 10, 2021

Go to Bitbucket.org and login ---> If you've ever recently had to create an App Password to login to your email via Outlook or Mail for example as a security measure you sign in via the web, go to Security and generate a password specifically for the app or things that you are wishing to do with it. If you can no longer sign in (via HTTPS) then you probably have some SSH already but they may want you to create an extension or app password. 

Either that, or it's your normal SSH trouble, -----you not having your local ssh-gen keys id_rsa.pub public SSH key, you can create one in Putty.exe look up creating pub/private ssh keys in Putty if you don't know how to use command or WSL, or MacOS Terminal, Ubuntu. 

Copy the text contents of the .pub file top to bottom including the machine name and Ctrl+C or Copy--- then go to your Bitbucket Dashboard and find SSH Integration settings somewhere near Security toward the bottom of the left column --- here 

1. https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/ssh-keys/
2.  Add Keys

3. If need App Password or Authorization see photos to see where you can generate that and treat that code as your password with your normal user name. - Tip
4. Big tech the other day decided to rollout requirements for Two-Factor Auth Google and Facebook and I think Apple all did and many more. You'll going to have to learn to do these regardless of provider, you'll probably have to due it to get your email in Mail or Outlook as well. Just a heads up. Here are photos of where to go.

To Add you ssh-key that's from your PC/Mac/Terminal in .ssh/id_rsa.pub select and copy that text, never the other non-.pub one, hit Add Key, then paste right into it and give it a name that reflects the device it came from so you know over time which programs and services have your SSH public key which then requires no password. 

Add SSH Key looks like this if you haven't before you should. 
Screenshot (56).png

This Answer's the Question and provides a photo of how to produce an "App Password" via Bitbucket and github through their UI and Dashboard Settings. It's easy. Instead of writing and "Something about Outlook" just write "For X Processes in Bitbucket and X2" then hit "Create" --- it will then spit out a randomly large string that you will now sign into a specific app with once potentially using your normal user name but this different password, not your normal account password. I think it's strange myself. For Outlook, I have to do this frequently, anything with high security or if you work with many profiles or emails it can be easy to accidentally do the wrong thing if you don't have things in place to help prevent that from happening. This should do it below. 

***In the future it'll help you feel more comfortable using good programs and also making complex and long passwords for your accounts then allowing then App Passcodes or Passwords to continue for certain apps and items for security reasons. ***

Screenshot (55).pngScreenshot (59).jpg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events