Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What does the red ! mark on the Remote Icon in the menu bar mean?

Is ST I am seeing two confusing notations:

1) A red ! on the Remote icon on the right end of the menu bar. Tried logging in to the remote--worked fine but the ! is still there. I assume it means I need to attend to something. But what?

2) A (1 with an up arrow) floating under BRANCHES (looks like a misplaced Push Needed icon).

I attached a screenshot showing both. What are are they and how do I clear them? 


I'd appreciate any guidance. Been using (struggling?) with ST for over a year now; these are appearing in version 3.3.4 now. 

Also, for what it is worth, ST no longer notifies me that I need to do a pull when someone commits changes to our remote in GitHub Enterprise.


2 answers

Follow up--I believe the reason I was no longer seeing the push/pull indicators was my local master was not tracking the remote. As soon as I restored tracking, I got the indicators back. I still don't know what to do with the red exclamation mark on the Remote icon.

I have the same issue with the red exclamation mark on the Remote icon everytime I launch Sourcetree thus preventing Pushing into remote repository

I found a work around,

Click on Settings : launches Remote Settings

Under Remote tab > Select the Remote repository paths and click Edit: launches Remote Details

Click OK on Remote Details

and again Click OK on Remote Settings

I find the red exclamation disappears letting and establishes connection to Bitbucket properly.

It would be good to know why it behaves this way and what is a permanent solution to it though.

Like # people like this

Thanks for the tip.  I tried this however I still have the ! on the Remote icon.  If i get it resolved I will post an update.


Going down the path that Rinee_Bhattacharya mentioned led me to what I think the real issue was for me. I noticed that the "Remote Account" setting was set to some "Generic Account". Switching this to the correct remote account fixed this for me.

Not sure if it's a bug that defaults it incorrectly when pulling in the repo. Hope that helps.


Like # people like this

Thanks, this fixed it for me too

Thanks for the hint. It worked for me

I have the same question about the '!'.  

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

5,837 views 4 13
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you