It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Sourcetree stopped enforcing git hooks Edited

All of a sudden, Sourcetree stopped enforcing husky git hooks to lint commit messages. Trying to commit an invalid message using the GUI behaves as if "Bypass commit hooks" is selected, but it is not.

I'm not sure if this happened because of an update to Sourcetree, I write valid commit messages from muscle memory, but over the last few weeks, I've seen invalid commits getting added by other developers. And, I've just now had time to look into it.

Using the command line works as expected.

git commit -m "foo: this should fail"

The above command will fail; however, typing the same commit into Sourcetree GUI succeeds.

Looking at the command history in Sourcetree, it shows that it's skipping the hook, but I don't understand why, this started happening out of the blue.

git --no-optional-locks -c color.branch=false -c color.diff=false -c color.status=false -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree commit -q -F /var/folders/pg/h0p352h12y12b__wd59m9zhr0000gn/T/SourceTreeTemp.PgpJDA

Can't find npx in PATH: /usr/local/git/libexec/git-core:/Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/bin:/usr/local/git/bin:/Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/git_local/gitflow:/Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/git_local/git-lfs:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/MacGPG2/bin

Skipping commit-msg hook

Completed successfully

Environment info:

macOS Mojave

Sourcetree: Version 4.0.1 (234)

System Git: 2.23.0

1 answer

Just going to answer this myself. There is apparently a bug in the popular npm package I used to install the git-hooks, husky:

https://github.com/typicode/husky/issues/639

So, this was not a problem with Sourcetree, sorry :/

If anyone else finds this question, simply downgrade to husky@3.1.0 and that seems to work.

But, there is also bug filed against Sourcetree -- because the underlying cause of Sourcetree not being able to find NODE, is definitely a bug in stree.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-7184

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,902 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you