Sourcetree + minified files = SO SLOW

Sean Hill May 7, 2014

I've narrowed down the issue. If you have uncommited compressed / min files sourcetree bogs down so much. It just spins and spins. It took me about 10 minutes today to commit two files. THAT'S HORRIBLE! I believe it's an issue with whatever diff tool Sourcetree is using. Please fix this, I can't do anything with Sourcetree now.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

Try marking your minified CSS to not be diffed. See #1 here: http://delvarworld.github.io/blog/2013/08/10/dealing-with-compiled-files-in-git/

ppittle January 13, 2015

Link is dead

0 votes
Ronald Chanou January 28, 2015

I had this issue, and my solution was to mark the relevant file types as binary in the attributes file:

1. If it doesn't exist, create a .gitattributes file in the root of your project.
  2. Add a line like "*.min.js binary" (without quotes)...change it to match whatever files you don't want to diff.
0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

The problem is that Git is resource intensive when dealing with diffs like that and also takes a long time to respond. The Git process maxes out causing some general slowness.

The diff SourceTree uses is Git. We call Git and get diff output from it.

Cheers

0 votes
Sean Hill May 7, 2014

What do you recommend me doing then? I'd really like to continue to use SourceTree, but right now it's just not performing quick enough after this recent update.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events