Sourcetree + minified files = SO SLOW

I've narrowed down the issue. If you have uncommited compressed / min files sourcetree bogs down so much. It just spins and spins. It took me about 10 minutes today to commit two files. THAT'S HORRIBLE! I believe it's an issue with whatever diff tool Sourcetree is using. Please fix this, I can't do anything with Sourcetree now.

4 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Try marking your minified CSS to not be diffed. See #1 here: http://delvarworld.github.io/blog/2013/08/10/dealing-with-compiled-files-in-git/

Link is dead

What do you recommend me doing then? I'd really like to continue to use SourceTree, but right now it's just not performing quick enough after this recent update.

The problem is that Git is resource intensive when dealing with diffs like that and also takes a long time to respond. The Git process maxes out causing some general slowness.

The diff SourceTree uses is Git. We call Git and get diff output from it.

Cheers

I had this issue, and my solution was to mark the relevant file types as binary in the attributes file:

1. If it doesn't exist, create a .gitattributes file in the root of your project.
  2. Add a line like "*.min.js binary" (without quotes)...change it to match whatever files you don't want to diff.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

879 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you