Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree keeps asking for bitbucket password on windows

Viewing page 2 of 2

42 answers

0 votes
Jule November 7, 2018

This issue is a troll I guess... Almost ~5 years of using and this issue continue coming back from time to time... With no solid way to fix it... I am very disappointed by Atlassian team silence on this one. Please at least fake caring about...

0 votes
Ryan Chapman November 6, 2018

Still happening somewhat randomly that I'll get a dozen or more windows asking for my password filling my screen.

0 votes
Chandru October 24, 2018

Hi Ryan,

Please see my above post about choosing to system git.

In this case, you need to upgrade your system git to latest and configure source tree to use system git instead of its embedded git.

I've briefed those how to steps in above post.

Thanks,

Chandru

Ryan Chapman October 26, 2018

This did solve the multi-login problem, but introduced a number of others since Sourcetree apparently doesn't support 2.19.1. Downgrading to 2.19.0, hopefully I can get this back working soon.

0 votes
Ryan Chapman October 24, 2018

Just upgraded to 3.0.8 and my screen is quickly covered in login dialogs. Please fix this issue.

0 votes
RajanandP October 18, 2018

Came across this same issue and multiple posts too. So consolidated my research and fix at one place https://stackoverflow.com/a/52884626/5107365. Summary is, problem solved when I used the same password for Atlassian's account address(which is the Gmail ID I used to OAuth to my bitbucket user), as that of my Gmail ID.

0 votes
Chad October 6, 2018

For OAuth in Windows 10 fixed with these 4 steps:

1. Create an app password in bitbucket under Settings > App Passwords.
Note copy the password to notepad as it only shows once.

2. In File Explorer, delete the passwd file in the %AppData%\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\passwd file.

3. Add account with OAuth again. Two different password prompts will show.

4. Use your user name and app password for both.

0 votes
Francisco Mercado September 2, 2018

None of the steps above worked for me. The underlying problem has to do with the store manager for Windows. Please follow this blog to update the credentials manager.

https://codeshare.co.uk/blog/how-to-solve-the-github-error-fatal-httprequestexception-encountered/

After following those steps make sure you set the latest version of the credentials manager.

git config --global credential.helper manager
0 votes
Kristian Luck June 12, 2018

Well here's what I did to fix the problem. Incidentally, I had first updated to the latest version of SourceTree (2.6.6.0) and that didn't help.

• Tools > Options
  • Select the Authentication tab
  • I only have one account there under the Accounts section (my bitbucket account). I clicked it. That expanded some content and Edit / Delete links. I clicked on the Edit link and a new dialog window titled "Edit Hosting Account" opened.
  • Under the Credentials section of this dialog I clicked the "Refresh OAuth Token" button which immediately opened a browser window to a local address like the following (edited for security): http://localhost:34106/?state=authenticated&code=kjDSFOEWIN4394kdfjaieo
  • At the bottom of the dialog window I could then see an "Authentication OK" label with a green checkbox to its left
  • Click OK on this dialog and then the Options dialog that spawned it
  • I retried my Git operations and everything seems to be working now. The login dialog didn't appear
Kristian Luck August 8, 2018

OK, so here's a follow-up. The problem returned for me. I tried my original solution and the problem still persisted. I then noticed in the details view of the Pull window a message relating to use of two-factor authentication. Specifically, if you've got two-factor auth enabled then you need to use an app password. There was a confluence link in the details and I went to it. That led me through instructions on creating an app password. One thing that was not mentioned is the required permissions to grant the app password, so I just granted it all permissions. After I went through this whole process I still had problems. But, I was confident I was on the right track. I then completely uninstalled Sourcetree (along with all lingering related directories after the uninstall). I then installed the latest version of Sourcetree and specified the app password. So far, this approach seems to have fixed the issue. I hope this helps someone else.

0 votes
Andrey Borisko April 25, 2018

had the same. it wasn't really source tree issue, but i fixed it by removing httpusepath = true line

> git config --global --edit

0 votes
Thibault L January 30, 2018

on macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 I changed the authentication mode from SSH to OAuth to Basic / HTTPS and it worked.

Christian Snijder April 25, 2018

This saved my day.

0 votes
zstapic October 6, 2017

The same problem when updating to 2.3.1.

It helped to me to delete bitbucket account in Tools -> Options -> Authentication and then to edit %AppData%\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\passwd (in Notepad++) and to delete any unused/wrong username password pairs. 

After deleting one for bitbucket it stopped asking for password.

refalm1 August 14, 2018

Thanks, that worked for me 👍

Rabishan Maharjan August 20, 2018

worked for me too

0 votes
Adeem Salik February 23, 2017

Asking password again and again since i changed my credentials from Atlassian site. I reverted my credentials back to old ones and pull and push work fine without asking password but sourcetree still asks password for nothing (2 times if i cancel).

0 votes
Paw Baltzersen January 5, 2017

The fix for me was to install git on the computer and use that instead of the embedded version. After a git pull in cmd and entering the credentials there, I can now work in SourceTree without it asking for password all the time.

0 votes
jeffrey January 5, 2017

This did not fix the problem for me. I click "show hosted repos" and nothing ever loads in the window. I added my Bitbucket account info, again, for the 15th time, and Sourcetree is still asking me to authenticate. Pathetic. For now, I'll revert to version 1.8

0 votes
Max Pixel July 26, 2016

I'm in a conversation with a support rep about this, and it sounds like it's caused by not having an explicit username in the url for your repository. Unfortunately, for private subrepositories, that's just not an option.

0 votes
ionescu manuela July 25, 2016

After tthe Sourcetree last upgrade in MAY I can't log in Sourcetree anymore -  I'm on Windows 8.

I've done everything, but I coldn't find an answer. 

I've tried Go to View > Show Hosted Repositories > Edit Accounts > find the relevant account and click 'Edit' > Change Password.

The system aproves my Atlassian PWD but gives an error message after. "Please enter your Bitbucket/GitHub username" . 

But from June "Atlassian account is coming to Bitbucket!" - eveyone has received this mail, so it's supposed to be only one account for all the Atlassian app.

How can this bug be solved, anyone found a solution?

0 votes
davidtrudeau February 3, 2016

Having the same issue, anyone find a solution?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events