Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree is not launching external difftool

gbertrand_m May 13, 2019

All, 

Been working on this for a few hours now, and I'm stuck. 

I'm trying to get LVCompare to launch as a external diff-tool from sourcetree. I've seen people on here successfully getting up and running, but none of their solutions seem to work for me. 

I've configured my .gitconfig to be the following:

[diff]
tool = "sourcetree"
[difftool "sourcetree"]
cmd = 'C:/Program Files/National Instruments/Shared/LabVIEW Compare/LVCompare.exe' \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\"

I can run the tool from the git bash command line successfully, and I can see the temp file from the remote path being created when attempting to launch external diff from sourcetree. 

My process view shows the following output when attempting to launch the diff:

ST_processlog.PNG

As far as I understand it's missing the SHA part after the tool argument. I have no idea how to track down the problem. 

Hopefully it's something small I missed, but any help to try and sort it out is much appreciated! 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2019

Hello! It appears that the labview diff tool expects the absolute path for the files. Could you try the script here and see if it helps?

Thanks!

gbertrand_m May 15, 2019

Thanks for replying! 

I used the script during my initial exploration to see if it could breathe any life into it, and I just now tried it again. I still see Sourcetree creating the diff file in my Temp folder, but still the same output on the process viewer as above and no tool launched. 

I tried launching the script and passing file paths myself from the git bash command line and it started up with no issues.

Is there any way to see the command that Sourcetree is trying to invoke?

Thanks for your help! 

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2019

Could you give me the script + the settings in Sourcetree for the diff provider (I assume you're using the 'Custom' option)?

gbertrand_m May 15, 2019

I have actually solved it after working on it again for a few hours. 

My company uses Beyond Trust to control all the permissions on our machines, and the version of Git that comes with sourcetree gets blocked from invoking commands like "git mergetool". Installing git 2.7 from the github source somehow fixes this problem and lets everything run as needed. 

To get to the source of it I tried running the exact same command as in the process viewer and the terminal gave me tons of errors about dll's being unavailable which clued me into a new set of google searches that eventually led to someone having a similar problem with other programs originating from Beyond Trust. 

Hopefully this is helpful for anyone else running into similar problems. 

And thanks Mike for your time to help me out! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events