Sourcetree git-flow is slow

Martin Pradny June 25, 2013

I'm using Sourcetree on Windows with Git-Flow. It works fine, but it's really slow. It takes about 15 seconds just to show "Choose Next Flow Actions" or other dialogs. I tried it even on small test repository with no difference.

Is this normal? My collagues have same problem.

I'm running on quite standard laptop - Win7 64bit with 8GB RAM and SSD drive :(

So far I reverted back to use command line, but as I wanted to show sourcetree and git-flow to colleagues who don't know much about git Sourcetree seemd to be awesome option for them.

Martin

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2013

SourceTree calls a few git-flow commands to figure out the recommended next action, you can speed things up by choosing it yourself from the menu (Repository > Git Flow > [Action]). Nevertheless I'll see if I can speed this up.

0 votes

Awesome. Thank you for such fast response and update

Now I think slowest thing is getting values for feature names in "feature finish" dialog :) I think there could be default option with current feature and the check could be run in background. But it's just an idea.

Again, thank you :)

0 votes

I have found many articles about git being slow on windows in general, but I don't see such problems. I also tried to disable UAC and antivirus to check whether it would make any difference.

Please let me know if SourceTree with git-flow runs smoothly in your environment or not, so I know whether I should try to look for some issues here or not.

Thank you

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2013

Git is a little slower on Windows than Mac for sure. In this case, it's mostly that there's no single git-flow command to get what we want so we're calling a number of commands, and git-flow also has to go through 2+ levels of process because it's entirely implemented via shell scripts (which themselves call git).

I've short-circuited this for the next update and have used my own re-implementation of what git-flow does just to detect the current state, and it's about 5 times faster, so I think you'll like it when I post the update later today.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events