Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree 4.1.3 thru 4.1.6 crash opening project under macOS 12.3 w CLT selected

Michael Brian Bentley March 15, 2022

I can't get past double clicking on any project in the repository browser window after installing macOS 12.3 and Xcode 13.3. I have three versions of Xcode available, 13., 13.2.1 and 13.3, and have alternatively selected the command line tools for each one in trying to find a combination that doesn't crash (the repo browser window for sourcetree closes immediately and the app is no longer running). I've also tried in turn to run sourcetree versions 4.1.3 through 4.1.6; they each crash in the same fashion.

When I first started sourcetree, I was running Xcode 13.3, but sourcetree apparently started to verify Xcode 13.2.1. Not sure what's up with that.

I also rebooted macOS 12.3 to see if that would change anything.

It appears to not matter which project I select to open.
Switching from internal to system git has no obvious effect.

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alec Miller April 26, 2022

I had to wipe ~/Library/Application Support/SourceTree folder, but you'll lose all your repos and settings.  

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Brian Bentley April 12, 2022

Someone tested older release builds more recently and found that version 4.1.2 still works. Going with that!

1 vote

This wouldn't be because macOS 12.3 omits Python 2.7x, would it? What's sourcetree written in?

According to a quote from Atlassian, sourcetree for Mac is written in Objective-C.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/What-technologies-are-used-to-develop-SourceTree/qaq-p/442029

Sourcetree v4.1.6 works fine under macOS 12.0.1. There seems to be something about macOS 12.3 that breaks all the recent released builds of Sourcetree. At least on my 3 year-old Intel i9 MBP.

Jacob Willig March 17, 2022

Problem seems to be the removal of Python2.7 from MacOS since 12.3

Michael Brian Bentley March 17, 2022

Folks have been saying Python 2.7 is long deprecated and should no longer be in the toolkit. Therefore, installing it would seem not to be the proper solution, but instead wait for Atlassian to fix the problem by using Python 3 (assuming the problem really is Python related).

Meanwhile, I'm using someone else's git client.

Like # people like this
RayAdams May 7, 2022

It seems Attlasian does not bother to fix it so I had to switch to other client. Fork works perfectly

Like Helge Becker likes this
Helge Becker July 11, 2022

Atlassian had enough time. Switched 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events