Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree & remote git repo

radu margarint June 17, 2013

Is there a way to run SourceTree managing a remote git repo? By remote, I mean a git repo which isn't mapped on the machine SourceTree is running, but on a remote machine. My scenario is that the code base I'm working on is a server code base, and a very very large code base. We don't pull the source to our client machines, or build or run. It's all on a dedicated dev servers running Linux, and we just ssh into them, or map the file system and use some client side editor to edit the files. I would *really* like to use SourceTree for diff management. However I can't find a way in our setup. If I point ST to the locally mapped remote tree, it hangs at start up forever (probably because it's scanning the entire tree or something). It would really be nice if we could setup ST to basically run all it's required git operations via ssh on a remote repo.

1 answer

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2013

No, this isn't on the cards I'm afraid - DVCS tools major benefit is that they run on local data stores and so are very fast; for this sort of usage you should either clone to your local machine or use some kind of server-side web interface if you want to do it remotely.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events